Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bad Customer Service
mistergrumpy

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Bad Customer Service

Wnet and bought an oil filter for the Astra on Friday and then chenged the oil around 5pm before I was going to Autosport on Saturday. Its a cartridge filter so I drained it all off then took out the old filter and tried to fit the new one and it was the wrong one
I ended up having to fill the car up with new oil and the old filter so I could get the car running again.
Roll on today I returned with the filter and asked for a manager and explained the issue. He said that there were two parts listed against my car and I'd been given the wrong one obviously. Here's were it went wrong. I was told that as the filter had an oily hand print on he couldn't resell it so I'd have to repurchase a new one. Queue a loud argument on how I'd been sold the wrong part and him saying it's the right part but wrong option and me as a mechanic should be checking it before I fit it. Anyway and other man walked over who said he was the manager (!) and eventually said I could have the right filter for free. I then aked for my oil to be replaced as I was now £25 out of pocket due to their mistake. Queue another big argument and the second manager understanding my problem but that he was not going to give me oil. I told them they'd lost a customer and was told "so!"
I'm thinking of sending a sh1tty letter. Am I chasing my tail here and should leave it or should I stand up for my rights as a customer?

mcerd1

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
it take it it wasn't a main dealer ?

-

richardh

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
name and shame the place all over the forums, everyone you can find

Time for a change!

prawnabie

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
No help now but we use a branch of unipart and have to check every part against the one we are replacing before we immobilise the car. Having been on both sides of the fence I can see the arguments from both sides, but if there is a choice then you should at least tell the customer.
MikeRJ

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just replace the filter, why do you need to change the oil again?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Mike, if the oil wasn't way over it's change date, the old filter shouldn't have put much crud back into the engine so the new oil should be fine, after all there isn't more than about 200-300ml in a filter I would think?

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

steve m

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Having learnt the hard way, if theres two options i buy both now, and refund later, but i thought on modern cars it was just a case of reg plate, and jobs done, or have i been lucky ?

Steve

mookaloid

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
probably under their sale of goods t's and c's they will say that their liability is limited to the price of the part.

if it was me I'd just change the filter and re use the new oil.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

graememk

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
i think its good of them to change a part they no longer can use or resell, to be honest its your fault for trusting the guy whos forced to work behind that parts dept as he didnt study hard enough to get a real job.

i would of given you a new filter and a good discount on the oil, however it all depends on how well i got on with the customer as if your nice friendly chap i'd help, if your a grumpy git or have "calvinx's" attitude i'd dig my heals in and do nothing to help.

i'd leave it and use another parts dept

[Edited on 17/1/11 by graememk]

se7en

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I used to do exactly the same as what you did but in the end I was the one annoyed and the shop did not care. Threatening them with loosing a customer means nothing to them. The manager can write-off a filter at £5 but he would find it harder to write-off the oil at £15-20.

If it were me, I would chalk it up to experience and publicise the name of the shop to warn others of the type of service they can expect at this shop.

Just my thoughts

Tom

prawnabie

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i think its good of them to change a part they no longer can use or resell, to be honest its your fault for trusting the guy whos forced to work behind that parts dept as he didnt study hard enough to get a real job

Perhaps a little more thinking on your part might be in order too?

graememk

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i think its good of them to change a part they no longer can use or resell, to be honest its your fault for trusting the guy whos forced to work behind that parts dept as he didnt study hard enough to get a real job

Perhaps a little more thinking on your part might be in order too?

i'm not saying that everyone that works in a parts dept is stupid, i'm saying most dont give a shit, been there done that low wage shop staff arnt always very helpfull chaps, where as if you can find a propper parts dept manager who knows every part and where it is hes worth his weight, but the likes of partco ect ect dont emply guys like that anymore who want real money for a real job. insted you get 18 year old school leavers how look on the pc and go here it is mate its this one as the computer says so so it must be right.

Hellfire

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just fit the new filter and forget about it...... Lifes too short.

Phil

steve m

posted on 17/1/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Prawnabie, i thought it a tad harsh as well !!

I used to know a guy that worked at these places, and moved about within them,
I would always go to his current place, as he never got a wrong item on my order sheet, and seemed to know all the part no from memory as well

I dont know were he is now!

Steve

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
It's GL Motors in Bolton. You know I didn't think to just change the filter with the oil all still in, I think I thought it'd all pee out like the traditional filters that screw on. I'll do that
It was the attitude of them tbh. I went in and gave them the registration of the car and everything, if there was 2 options he should've given me both and refunded on the wrong one, I'd have had no problem on paying for both up front as I wanted it right.

Hellfire

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Venting your spleen would get you nowhere. Just look at all the unhappy customers and negative comments GTS have on here, yet they're still trading and must be making a decent profit, otherwise Darren would have bailed out by now......

Phil

pgtips

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yep just change the filter with out draining the oil.

I can see the argument from both sides, but logic says that you place both parts side by side ( old and new ), make sure the new part is correct, if yes fitted if not then back in it,s box and of to get the right one.

That's how I do it but hey I am a mechanic and learned the hard way. Wait till you have to do brakes on a stupid french car.........how many choices on brakes???? my goodness me

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

macc man

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I use a local unipart outlet. Not always the cheapest place but superb service and very informed guys.
When building kits you dont always know which parts are needed or what they are from. A guy there
went through every fan belt to find the one I needed. Cannot recommed them enough.

Ninehigh

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
There will be some oil that comes out though!

I think it's amazing how many companies couldn't give 2 poops about customers, and to this end I make sure that if I've ever had good service I go back. There was a parts place near us that I always went to, they never had what I was looking for but they were good about it so I went there first.

dan8400

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I know most people on here will be miles away but my local auto factors: Spilsby Motor Spares are wonderful. Friendly, helpful staff. Nothing is too much trouble, the parts are always right, AND.... they have 3 deliveries a day. So if you order before 10am it's there at 1pm same day and also order before 1pm and get it for 3pm. AMAZING service.

The original point to this thread..... change the filter keep the oil. Been said I know. Life is too short to argue with shops etc. Go somewhere else next time

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

andrew

posted on 17/1/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
just change the filter stop whining , get a life,,,
40inches

posted on 17/1/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew

Harsh!

ianclark1275

posted on 17/1/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
i had a clio that i could never get the right filter for,

ended up with the wrong filter and just changed oil.

had the original filter in it for some time.

it is frustrating but i gave up in the end

then i sold it to my dad!

one trick is to put tippex month and year on the filter.

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/1/11 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers mate very helpful that. Now hows about you disappear back to where you came from!
I will change it now that I know it can be done without losing all the oil.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.