Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone work as a driver for DHL?
blakep82

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
anyone work as a driver for DHL?

i see my local depot is looking for couriers, i want to apply. its the kind of thing i'd love to do. out and about, not stuck in an office all day, but not outside all day

i'm a bit confused by some of the questions, but never mind. the question is, what sort of salary would i expect? it asks what my expected salary is, i obviously don't want to put too much, or too little. anyone know? want definites, not what people thing they should get

highest paid job i've done so far was about 14k i think... i'd probably like at least 18k, but think thats maybe a bit high?
don't want them to think i'm expecting too much, or sell myself short lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MakeEverything

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i see my local depot is looking for couriers, i want to apply. its the kind of thing i'd love to do. out and about, not stuck in an office all day, but not outside all day

i'm a bit confused by some of the questions, but never mind. the question is, what sort of salary would i expect? it asks what my expected salary is, i obviously don't want to put too much, or too little. anyone know? want definites, not what people thing they should get

highest paid job i've done so far was about 14k i think... i'd probably like at least 18k, but think thats maybe a bit high?
don't want them to think i'm expecting too much, or sell myself short lol

You could put "A Fair one" but then they might think youre being cocky. Just put what you would work for, bearing in mind it is a courier job, not a surgical one.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

owelly

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I would start by stating your last salary as an hourly rate and say that you'd work for the same. That way, you're not asking for £12k for a 60 hour week and not asking for £30k for a 24 hour week!
Some companies around here are paying lorry drivers, delivery drivers, van drivers £10/hour. Those that want to keep their staff pay around £16/hour.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
thats the thing, i don't know whats fair for a courier
hopefully i'll get a parcel dropped off tomorrow, i'll just ask him what to put lol.

it seems to be these type of jobs they get paid more than i'd expect. glasgow subway drivers start on about 20k now. and the trains practically drive themselves.
i don't know if 18k is too cocky. or not enough! lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
good idea! well the last decent paid job i did was £7 per hour, and based on DHLs 45 hour week, work out to just over £16k, so maybe 18k isn't far off the lowest end of the scale for the 45 hour week? does that make any sense? lol

flibble

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Might be useful?
blakep82

posted on 3/2/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
Might be useful?

awesome well base on that, £8 per hour comes out at £18,720, but thats not going to be a starting pay really, so maybe i put 17k? would that sound reasonable?

flibble

posted on 3/2/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds reasonable to me, they won't want you to guess the correct number, probably just to weed out the ones hoping for 28k+
Go for it
Found This quite interesting too

TheGecko

posted on 4/2/11 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
These numbers are freaking me out a little!

Are these salaries being quoted as gross income or is this after tax? The reason I ask is that they seem very low compared to here in Australia.

I.e. I work as an Analyst/Programmer (Oracle PL/SQL) in Higher Education. My base salary (before employer superannuation contributions, which I can't access until I retire) is about £46k at the current exchange rate. The employer super is another 17% (government required minimum is 9% or 10% from memory) so that adds nearly £8k on top to the package. My wife is a loans processing officer for a bank and is on about £33k (again, plus super - 11% for her).

£14k sounds like less than our minimum wage! Actually, just went and checked - Australian minimum wage is now $15/hr -> £9.50/hr so £380 for a standard 40 hour week i.e. near enough to £20k/annum.

Admittedly, our dollar is currently very strong (1AUD=63p right now - was as low as 40p or so in the last few years) but, still!

Anyway, I'm probably missing something about relative cost of living etc.

Oh, and good luck with the job Blake

Dominic

keithice

posted on 4/2/11 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
£14k sounds like less than our minimum wage! Actually, just went and checked - Australian minimum wage is now $15/hr -> £9.50/hr so £380 for a standard 40 hour week i.e. near enough to £20k/annum.

Admittedly, our dollar is currently very strong (1AUD=63p right now - was as low as 40p or so in the last few years) but, still!

Anyway, I'm probably missing something about relative cost of living etc.

Our minimum wage is £5.93 if you're over 21yrs. What you're missing is the cost of living which is higher here and the lower standard of living we have.... and crap weather... etc.etc.

Blakep82, I would suggest you mention you would need £8 - £9 an hour to keep your head above water... that way you're going to get an idea of how much they need you and you can always come down a little... it's extremly difficult in the present climate to ask for a pay rise

anyway.. good luck

keithice

[Edited on 4/2/11 by keithice]

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

theconrodkid

posted on 4/2/11 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
i work for them but not delivering parcels.
so far i have found,they like to keep you under their thumb and micro manage you to the inth degree

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

franky

posted on 4/2/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I can't believe that you can get £16 an hour for driving a lorry and £10 for driving a van!
daviep

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
I can't believe that you can get £16 an hour for driving a lorry and £10 for driving a van!

I'm not sure whether you think this is too much or too little?

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

franky

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it was quite high... A nurse gets £13 an hour.
blakep82

posted on 4/2/11 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
dominic, why do you think everyone's trying to get out of here and move to australia?!

some good advices (is that a word?) thanks everyone.

micro manage to the inth degree sounds a bit worrying though, but i guess its a case of try it and see. i can always try for something else if it doesn't work out

Ninehigh

posted on 4/2/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
dominic, why do you think everyone's trying to get out of here and move to australia?!

some good advices (is that a word?) thanks everyone.

micro manage to the inth degree sounds a bit worrying though, but i guess its a case of try it and see. i can always try for something else if it doesn't work out

Trying to convince missus of this though...

The micro management thing does sound somewhat worrying. I prefer my boss to f**k off and let me do my job (I have before now sat motionless for five minutes because the supervisor was looking over my shoulder)

Also (so I have been told) £7-9/hr is fair for 7.5t drivers, and £10-15 for class 1 drivers (more for hazardous chemicals)

macspeedy

posted on 4/2/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am a bank courier (banks internal mail only) for DHL in Edinburgh, the pay aint great as only backshift (just over £7 per hour). The dayshift guys are busy with the sale of DHL domestic to HDN, to form the lauched with rebranding, ongoing, YODEL .. LINKY A lot our parcels are delivered by service partners paid day rate or per parcel.. which is real hard graft from what the guys are saying.
sonic

posted on 4/2/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you can get £16 an hour over 30K a year to drive a truck i might apply.

I know a couple of lads who drive vans at £7.50 an hour and a HGV1 driver who is on £9.20 an hour who hates his job but carnt afford to move as nobody will pay the same or more and he has worked for a few of the so called good companies.

Apparently he lives in an area were drivers are in demand!

JoelP

posted on 6/2/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
my mate has done a lot of couriering, and he says its bloody hard work. Cant see why myself, but apparently its a relentless pace to keep up, sometimes 100 drops a day. He's often up at 5 or 6am. Provided his own van and reckons it can pay £700 a week before tax, but he needs to get his own fuel.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.