Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Earthquake, well sombody had to...
Confused but excited.

posted on 15/3/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Earthquake, well sombody had to...

1) Dear Japan,
It's a bit of a b@st@rd when something sneaks up on you without any warning eh?
Best wishes from all the lads in Pearl Harbour.

2) Ellen MacArthur is said to be gutted, after her round the world record was broken earlier today, by a Japanese waiter on a coffee table.

3) Rescuers in Japan have called in Elton John, Goerge Micheal and Graham Norton, to help to search through the rubble for injured earthquake victims. Their assistance could prove invaluable with their experience of seeing japs eyes covered in sh1t.

Ok I'll get my coat.....

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

ed1max

posted on 17/3/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
1) Dear Japan,
It's a bit of a b@st@rd when something sneaks up on you without any warning eh?
Best wishes from all the lads in Pearl Harbour.

2) Ellen MacArthur is said to be gutted, after her round the world record was broken earlier today, by a Japanese waiter on a coffee table.

3) Rescuers in Japan have called in Elton John, Goerge Micheal and Graham Norton, to help to search through the rubble for injured earthquake victims. Their assistance could prove invaluable with their experience of seeing japs eyes covered in sh1t.

Ok I'll get my coat.....

Not funny whole familys wiped out

SteveWalker

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I think that humour is a very good way of coping with the relentless deluge of bad news that you get from the TV, radio and newspapers. Without humour we'd all crack up. That said, I wouldn't be the first to make such a joke in public - I'm not brave enough
MakeEverything

posted on 18/3/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Its called Black Humour. It happens a lot in stressful or tragic situations, and is quite normal within the people concerned to help them deal with stress - which is understandable.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/3/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
was wondering though why they are saying that the nuke plants were not designed for such an unusual event when Japan is well known for earthquakes and tidal waves...

Where do they put all the switch gear for the plant? in the basement oh what a good idea, not

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 18/3/11 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
was wondering though why they are saying that the nuke plants were not designed for such an unusual event when Japan is well known for earthquakes and tidal waves...

Where do they put all the switch gear for the plant? in the basement oh what a good idea, not

well, apparently it was designed for earthquakes, but this latest one was about 5 times more severe than they ever imagined would happen

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/3/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like there have been some obvious questions recently on the news as to why a plant located right next to the sea can even run out of water anyway. Considering that the buildings stood up to the quake it doesn't seem imposable for the pumps to survive too. Every time there is a nuclear accident it always seems to be down to lack of coolant and that engineers failed to build in adequate redundancy. Really I think it is just plain bad design.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 18/3/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Here's some coverage on why we seem to want to find tragedy funny:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12775389

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

splitrivet

posted on 18/3/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Heard the western Australian surfing championships was won by a little Japanese fella on a wardrobe.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

MikeRJ

posted on 18/3/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It sounds like there have been some obvious questions recently on the news as to why a plant located right next to the sea can even run out of water anyway. Considering that the buildings stood up to the quake it doesn't seem imposable for the pumps to survive too. Every time there is a nuclear accident it always seems to be down to lack of coolant and that engineers failed to build in adequate redundancy. Really I think it is just plain bad design.

The issue was not the quake, the reactors stood up that perfectly and the automatic shut down worked exactly as intended. The problem came when millions of tonnes of water washed over the power station and destroyed the backup generators for the cooling system.

MakeEverything

posted on 18/3/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
When you pour water on a fire, you get steam. Without venting it (in this case its radioactive as well), you get pressure which doesnt go away until it blows a bloody great hole in something.

Even though the reactors shut down, they would still be producing residual heat, as with steam boilers. By pouring loads and loads of water on the reactor would create an abundance of steam and pressure.

I dont suppose we will ever find out all of the facts, unless you work in the nuclear industry.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

oadamo

posted on 20/3/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
jokes are flooding in now.
adam

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

The issue was not the quake, the reactors stood up that perfectly and the automatic shut down worked exactly as intended. The problem came when millions of tonnes of water washed over the power station and destroyed the backup generators for the cooling system.

probably quite true, but then why put the generators or their systems so low down where they can be swamped? hindsight is wonderful but they did know these things happen

Ninehigh

posted on 23/3/11 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

probably quite true, but then why put the generators or their systems so low down where they can be swamped? hindsight is wonderful but they did know these things happen

Iirc each reactor also relied on other reactors elsewhere continuing to function after the quake, which they didn't... Oh well back to the coal fired ones for us...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.