Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vroom vroom......
GeoffT

posted on 17/5/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Vroom vroom......

There'll be no need to sit in your part built project making vroom vroom noises soon, the car will be doing that for you....Link

An aspect of electric cars I hadn't really considered, obviously needs some careful thought. I'll have a lusty V8 noise for mine please....

mrwibble

posted on 17/5/11 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
the whole idea of electric cars makes me feel completely underwhelmed... they even need a fake sound track, surely it doesn't have to be an actual car engine though, some child like vroom vroom might make me smile
David Jenkins

posted on 17/5/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
the whole idea of electric cars makes me feel completely underwhelmed... they even need a fake sound track, surely it doesn't have to be an actual car engine though, some child like vroom vroom might make me smile

It would end up as...

vroom
vroom
vroom
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?

deezee

posted on 17/5/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I want mine to woosh like a Tie Fighter in Star Wars

tegwin

posted on 17/5/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Haha, like the comparison of noise between the crappy plastic electric thing dribbling past really slowly and the BMW estate being floored past the camera to make an obvious sound change...

Why is it that talk of green electric cars etc just makes me angry!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mcerd1

posted on 17/5/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
I want mine to woosh like a Tie Fighter in Star Wars

I wonder how long we'll have to wait until someone's hacked there Nissan leaf to make that noise

-

ReMan

posted on 17/5/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Vegeburgers?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/5/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you ride a push bike in areas with pedestrians then you quickly realise that electric cars are dangerous if they are silent.

Probably easiest to make the tyres make a bit of noise. This would increase with speed, which is probably a good thing.

scootz

posted on 17/5/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest, are there any commercially available electric motors that would be suitable for a mid-engined project?

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 17/5/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That article says
With whisper-quiet electric cars set to proliferate

Yeah and my son will be taking his test in one of these vehicles "set to proliferate"

dlatch

posted on 17/5/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
what a bunch of grumpy old men

the option of having any sound you like would be great ie: V8 ect F1 engines..... the list could be endless
and if driving electric cars to commute means we are not held to ransom on the price of oil can only be good for us
won't save the planet though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
when i was a kid (ooh such a long time ago!) we used to clamp lolly sticks on the forks of our bikes so they buzzed on the spokes and made us go faster, which then made it louder, would this sort of thing work on these electric contraptions.

GeoffT

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

when i was a kid (ooh such a long time ago!) we used to clamp lolly sticks on the forks of our bikes so they buzzed on the spokes and made us go faster, which then made it louder, would this sort of thing work on these electric contraptions.

......and as I soon discovered, if you clamped it on the wrong side it would rapidly unscrew the valve and deflate the tyre.....

AndyO

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
how about one of these and some big speakers? ebay item No 350461821108. sorry don't know how to do the link thingy. probably wouldn't work on an electric car if they don't have an alternator.
speedyxjs

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought of a massive down side to this. Enter the 17 year old that plays loud music through the car speakers. The likelyhood is that they will just rewire the outdoor speakers to play the same music making it even louder!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

RazMan

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
This reminded me of the time when red flag wavers had to walk in front of the new fangled horseless carriages ............ just me then

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
what a bunch of grumpy old men

the option of having any sound you like would be great ie: V8 ect F1 engines..... the list could be endless
and if driving electric cars to commute means we are not held to ransom on the price of oil can only be good for us
won't save the planet though

Well I'd like something along the lines of "boo-chika wah chika boo" as I cruise about

However I've been pestering, nay screaming at the various manufacturers to stop advertising that they're going to make them and ACTUALLY make them.

I'm starting to think the government have secretly banned them

PSpirine

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've almost been run over by a Lexus LS600 (or whatever it is) hybrid at work several times now.

They drive it around for benchmarking, and it is stupidly silent.

I think that making noises opens up a lot more possibilities than getting an "engine" noise. As mentioned, there are lots of cool special effects noises that I'm sure will become popular. I personally would love a loud hum/whoosh sound like electric cars make in all those 80s movies about the future

Ninehigh

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
All the council vehicles (especially those that go round at 6am) will have to have "boop boop, caution, this vehicle is moving!"

How's about "Get back ya bastid! I'll break yer legs!"

How shall we corner this multi-million market of customisable "engine" noises?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.