Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kindle, Sony e reader, tablet or what???
russbost

posted on 8/12/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Kindle, Sony e reader, tablet or what???

Hi guys
Looking for a bit of info on the above for Mrs Russ Xmas pressy.

Are the Kindle & Sony E reader "one trick ponies" ie they don't do anything other than books, or do they nowadays have some basic web browsing capability, email & the like?

What are the advantages of the dedicated readers over a tablet (I can actually but a 7" tablet for less!) which I believe you can get reader software for either free or very cheaply?

The dedicated readers have monochrome screen - is this a major advantage when reading in bright sunlight & are all/any of them actually legible in bright sunlight?

I know there are loads of free book downloads, but how does it work if you buy a book via download - will it only work on that one machine or can it be transferred to another, is this more limited on any one of the above machines than on the other(s)?

Finally, is it worth paying the megabucks extra for an ipad?

Any info greatly appreciated, thanx in advance

Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ceebmoj

posted on 8/12/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
You need to decide what the device is for.

If its to reed books from then a kindle or e-ink display device is the way to go you relay need to see the screen in the flesh to appreciate how good it is I have had a kindle for a year now and have not red any paper books, data sheets or manuals in that time. Typicality read 3 to 4 fiction books a week and lots of manuals and stuff at work. the battery life is also amassing

If you want a device for a bit of surfing and some light reeding then a tablet will be better. the very cheap (£100 ish) tablets tend to have resistive touch screens that are just not as good. having said that there are a number of mid prices android tablets that are very good.

A nice application for looking after and transcoding your e books
http://calibre-ebook.com/

David Jenkins

posted on 8/12/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
My daughter has a Kindle - she's always reading so it is ideal for her. They are light, about the size of a small paperback, very easy to read in normal light (just like a book) and the batteries last for ages (unlike a fondle-slab - sorry, iPad).

The cheaper models load books using WiFi, the more expensive ones have radio with a limited browser. You can order books on Amazon that are downloaded automatically when a link is made (either way). You pay a little less than the paper book, and there are a fair number of free books (classics out of copyright, usually).

Im also a Kindle user, on my Android phone - it is very convenient.

russbost

posted on 8/12/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the Kindle/E reader route is sounding sensible for what she wants.

So if you've got a Kindle & have downloaded a book (paid for) can you then copy or move that book to another Kindle or is it somehow copy protected? I;m thinking if we both had one can we swap books or do we have to swap readers??

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
splitrivet

posted on 8/12/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
The top end Kindle has wifi and free of charge 3g which means you can browse tinterweb anywhere in the world for nowt albeit in black and white, also plays MP3 and audiobooks.
Kindle are due to launch a colour version which is supposed to be tabletish dont know when tho.
The display is fantastic, Ive got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and using the Kindle app on it I get a lot of eye strain as its back lit but not on the Kindle.
Books arent a problem as most torrent sites have thousands which are a doddle to upload to the machine.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

swanny

posted on 8/12/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
i also discovered that kindle will convert and read other documents. (after i'd had it a year) I have a Kindle email address and can send multiple word files to it to, and next time i turn it on at home they are delivered to it automatically, It will also do pdfs, if you include 'convert' in the message subject line of the email. great for me for work, where i often have to read policy documents, or other wordy government stuff on trains or away from the office.

i also use it for newspapers, especially the weekend ones. I actually read more of it over the course of a few days and the house isnt full of papers for most of the week.

i used those two more than books.

it also does audio books if you are into them

paul

russbost

posted on 8/12/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like it's coming down to a Kindle - any votes for an E reader over a Kindle & if so why??

britishtrident

posted on 8/12/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
To throw another option into the ring Netbooks can also run Kindle software.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

designer

posted on 8/12/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Kindle without a doubt.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 8/12/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I love my kindle, I have hundreds of books on it, all free if you know where to look.
Mine is the kindle2 (?) the one with the small keyboard at the bottom, I love it.
It has a built-in browser and can be used to surf the internet at a push, but it's not a main selling point.

I've just bought one for my mum for christmas, it's the new one with no keyboard, it's much smaller but keeps the same size screen, it just fits on your hand perfectly, I'm jealous

One of the best bits about kindles is the ability to send someone a book just by emailing it to them, I can email books to my mum's kindle, saves plugging it in, or even being in the same coutry (she spends time staying with my sister in Dubai).

Kindle for me, but then I don't have much experience of the others you mention...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

MikeR

posted on 8/12/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
g/f got a kindle. Had a problem with battery life and Amazon have been great.

She loves it & i've still got brownie points from getting it her in August ....... now i know about the email trick i'll get a few more (hopefully).

I wish we had one without a keyboard but having a keyboard doesn't make much difference.

Brother also has a kindle and he loves his. Both have cases (which aren't cheap but advised).

amalyos

posted on 8/12/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting a Kindle for Xmas, after hogging the wife's for the last month.

Got the app on my phone as well, so can read it on there when not having the Kindle around.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

russbost

posted on 8/12/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanx for all the info guys, sounds like it's defo a Kindle. Just need to look at what's available with/without keyboard!

Dingz

posted on 8/12/11 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
My wife has an E book and thinks it is great, I have read books on it the screen is good and it is easy to use. She downloads books onto her pc then transfers them across. I guess that way if she lost the ebook she can then copy them on to a new one. It may end up like Betamax vs VHS, the power of advertising and cheaper product.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

v8kid

posted on 8/12/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle great but sometimes pdf documents don't convert properly and can be a bit disjointed. Also browsing the net is a slow laborious affair - much better on iphone when away from home.

Having said that had mine for a year now and would not be without it. All books copied on to pc at home and you get another email address which you can send documents to where they are converted and automatically downloaded into your kindle.

Best thing since sliced bread but not a substitute for a meal.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
a4gom

posted on 8/12/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle for me, I got one last christmas of the wife and it's the best pressie she's ever got me (without been pointed in the right direction).
i use mine daily and the battery life is brill. I have the 3G version and whilst surfing is a bit clunky it serves it's purpose for me, enabling me to check emails and certain forums whilst away from the home. I had no probs using it in Corfu this summer for example.
Mine developed a small crack in the casing (most probably my fault as it's always in my rucksack and up to that point had no protective case), I contacted amazon and they sent a new one out on next day delivery, already registered in my name with all my purchased content on and a pre paid courier slip to return the damaged one once I had removed / switched over any personal content. Now that's service!

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

mad4x4

posted on 8/12/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
We broke the Screen big time on ours and phoned up and amazon replace unit with out question - which was a suprise

+1 for Kindle (we have the keyboard style) and have just bought our son the non keyboard one for Chrimbo.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MikeRJ

posted on 8/12/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas since my wife is fed up with me borrowing the one I bought her a couple of years ago There really is no comparison to iPad or an Android Tablet for actually reading books, the e-ink screens are vastly better and as close to reading real paper as it gets. Battery life is also orders of magnitude better than a tablet.

The Kindle has a basic web browser, but the screen is not ideal for this having much slower update than a TFT and of course being monochrome.

The 3G version is worth the extra expense IMO, there are no bills to pay other than the initial extra cost and it means you can buy and download books anywhere that you can get a 3G signal. My wife has used this quite a bit.

The Shootist

posted on 8/12/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle all the way..

We have 2 Kindles in our house, soon to be 3.

Caliber is an easy to use software that will convert most any PDF or other format into fully Kindle compatible format.

My wife has found a few dodgy sites with e-books pirated and hasn't bought a paper book in nearly a year.

Publishers have really got to get off the high pricing for e-books though. With no paper involved, non distribution costs, the prices really should be lower than paper books.

russbost

posted on 8/12/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx again for all the info - Kindle it is!

Marcus

posted on 8/12/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you need a little more than an ereader, have a look for the Kindle Fire. More a tablet really, the only disadvantage is the screen in very bright light which is not as readable as a standard Kindle.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

PSpirine

posted on 8/12/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't read all the responses, but I'll chime in for the Kindle.

I've had one for about a year now (I'll recommmend the Keyboard 3G one) - if what you want is to read (i.e. a substitute for books/newspaper), it's absolutely fab. I've had a few good subscriptions for newspapers/magazines on it too which is nice cause it automatically downloads it daily/weekly/monthly wherever you are. You can try them out for 14 days free.

I do not use it for anything else, although it has been a life saver a couple of times when stuck in USA with no access to internet. Free (albeit slow and cumbersome) access to email is always nice, as was the ability to download guidebooks in NYC whilst on the move.

Also in my experience Amazon customer support is faultless, so I never hesitate to buy from there..

I'd stay away from any colour (non e-ink) devices as they will drain the battery quickly which will make using it as a reader a complete nightmare.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.