Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Side Panel Fault ?
Toprivetguns

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Side Panel Fault ?

Hi everyone,

I've finally come to the fun part installing my body panels. After looking at many other MKs on here I was quite confident about how it was all going to fit.

I offered up the first piece today being the L/H side body panel and to my horror I was shocked that its been cut too short from manufacture.

I've seen plenty of MKs on here with side body panels reaching all the way to the front nose cone. My panel doesnt even reach the front wishbone mounts.

Im a tad upset as I wish the install to be as neat as possible. I don't like the look when the front panels are cut away.

Is this usual ? Anyone else experienced this ?

Cheers

[Edited on 20/3/12 by Toprivetguns]

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

nick205

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mine were the same (bought 2003 BTW). I must admit it didn't bother me hugely and I suspect it helped airflow taking heat out of the engine bay.

Andybarbet

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, it might be worth dropping 'Davegtst' a U2U, im pretty sure he is building an MK Indy too, he lives not too far away & im in Stevenage.

I've only met him face to face once but he's a good guy & might be able to tell you what his panels were like, i understand he has had some issues with MK though.

One question, is that a polo radiator i see ?? if it is, how have you mounted it ? i've just picked one up this week & am pondering over the best way to fit it to my Luego chassis.

Seems to be few builders in this area now, we should arrange a meet up

Toprivetguns

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. I've seen several MKs with full body panels, I will phone MK tomorrow.

Yes its a polo radiator. I purchased it from Northern radiators. I have the exact part number, ill U2U with it and some rad mounts pictures.

pauladamss

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have an indy r 2010 and my side panels go all the way to the nose cone not sure why yours would end there.
Coopz

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mine end short (delivered from mk this way) I wasn't too bothered just made the cut out a bit neater...I thought it would help engine bay temps!
danny keenan

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
your side pannel is for the indy not the indy-r unless stated on order you would have been given a standard one.
please give me a call tomorrow and i will do my best to help you

thanks danny

Toprivetguns

posted on 20/3/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Danny, Yes its the Indy ''Spec-R'' I ordered and hence assumed the associated kit was SPEC-R related.

I will call you tomorrow. Thanks for a speedy response.

RK

posted on 21/3/12 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
It is a very easy fix. You can add ally or a piece of fibreglass to make it longer if you need to for aesthetics.
A1

posted on 21/3/12 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
thats what mine were like too, you cut off about 3" and they finish just behind the rear or the wishbones.
fimi7

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I would say follow up with Danny. He will get you fixed up. I think it makes a big difference in regards to how the car looks. I never did like the open look by the wishbones. Keep in mind that doing it this way you have to remove your suspension to remove the panels, just making sure you are aware of it. For me I have left off my front suspension for the majority of the build just to allow easy on and off for wiring etc.. This photo does not have the cut out for the push rod.

--- Ali

Davegtst

posted on 21/3/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mine were too short too. In the end i gave up with MK and made my own out of 1mm aluminium. I also flared the engine bay for a bit of extra cooling and made the piece around the wishbones separately so i could remove most of the side panel without taking the whole front suspension off all the time. They have been powdercoated which was surprisingly cheap and matches the rest almost perfectly. I'm only in St Evenage and nearly finished mine now so if you ever want to come round to see mine and have a chat just let me know.

Scuse the dog, she dosen't like being left out.

[Edited on 21/3/12 by Davegtst]

RK

posted on 21/3/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Carpet in the garage? Nice!!
fimi7

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking the same thing. Keep banging my head on cold concrete might copy the carpeting...

Do you have a pic of your radiator, is that it leaning so far forward?

--- Ali

ceebmoj

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst

[Edited on 21/3/12 by Davegtst]

Some interesting pictures, have been thinking of mounting my radiator like that.

Davegtst

posted on 22/3/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yes it's the rad leaning foward. Not sure is give much advantage apart from more space to adjust the dampers. This is the best one i've got but note this picture has the grp panels that got replaced.

Toprivetguns

posted on 22/3/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for all your helpful replies, this forum is worth its weight in gold.

Dave, ill U2U about a little meet up, cheers !

fimi7

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pic. Just noticed the van in the background. Exactly what kind of fuel are you running

--- Ali

Davegtst

posted on 23/3/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lamborghini fuel!!

I also drain cars that are being exported out of the country by plane (they have to be very low on fuel due to fire risks) so i end up with a bit spare sometimes. For some reason the petrol used in Lamborghini's and Ferrari's is green, it's at least 97 ron though.

Sorry gone a bit OT now.

loggyboy

posted on 23/3/12 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is that an Aventanopendoor?
Not Anumber

posted on 17/4/12 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like to do the same as i prefer the look of fully enclosed side panels.
How much work is involved in taking the suspension apart, is there a specific type of spring compressor that I'll need to get hold of to compress these Protech coil overs ?

loggyboy

posted on 17/4/12 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
you will probably find compressors aren't necessary as on full drop it should be easy enough to loosen the platforms and just unbolt the shock.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.