Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Gen 2 Busa airbox (MK-Indy-R) to relace Pipercross.
bobinspain

posted on 9/7/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Gen 2 Busa airbox (MK-Indy-R) to relace Pipercross.

I thought I'd trawl the combined brains of Locost to see if anyone (other than Custardpants) has fitted an airbox to replace the Pipercross on a Gen 2 Busa MK Indy-R. (Less bonnet clearance than on a Gen 1). C'pants has cut a hole in his bonnet to accommodate the airbox.

Perhaps if I explain the tolerances involved, you'll understand my concern: It's impossible to measure sufficiently accurately to come to a conclusion one way or the other, hence my query. Here goes------

The entire length of the Pipercoss airfilter is deformed by downward bonnet pressure. To be fair, MK did ask me if I wanted a hole cut in the bonnet "to make it more race-car like." I replied that since I qualify for my OAP next year, it was sufficiently "race-car like as it was thankyou."

On removing the Pipercross, I noticed that the intake trumpets were deformed downwards by bonnet-filter-trumpet contact. I put a smear of lipstick, (not mine) on the trumpet tops and refitted the bonnet. The rearmost trumpet touches the bonnet . I aligned a strip of 3mm thick insulation tape with the trumpets, and stuck it the underside of the bonnet. All 4 trumpets made contact with the tape, thus the maximum clearance I have, between trumpets and bonnet is 3mm only.

Now, if a solid airbox were contoured perfectly with the bonnet and sat 3 mm lower than the trumpets, thus depressing them slightly, and the box was no more than 3mm thick, then I could replace the Pipercross. I think that's a big 'ask' unless anyone here has tried it?

I realise a bonnet mod could be made to increase the intake blister size, but that's a non-starter. (No personal fibre-glass expertise or experience of bodyshops here, plus if I was lucky enough to find one, the fabrication and respray would quadruple the size the budget required). I don't simply want to hack a hole in the bonnet either.

I don't track the car, so noise isn't an issue, (though it's intrusive without earplugs in normal use). I don't need the extra bhp, it's just that I'd like to optimise the engine's breathing if at all possible.

To finish, Cosmick has been a paragon of patience, industry and help and has fabricated the slimmest, lowest box in history, but even he can't defy physics and without a trial on a Gen 2 Busa MK, we are in the dark as to whether it'll squeeze in and his edeavours will be successful. If no-one's tried it, it may just have to be a 'leap of faith' and I'll take a chance, buy it and give it a try.

MikeFellows

posted on 9/7/12 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Im in the same posistion as you, gen 2 busa and dont want to cut a hole in the bonnet

I even chopped the original airbox down a lot and we left with so little airbox left it was useless

im sticking with the pipercross till post IVA but after that im determined to find something

bobinspain

posted on 9/7/12 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,

Cosmick is the man 'if anyone can.'
He's fabricated around 20 Busa airboxes now, including 2 for MKs, but only Gen1. He has his latest 'baby' ready to post off to me, but in light of the tight tolerances, I'd really like to check for fit, otherwise, if it's a no-no, it'll be sat on my garage shelf.
The trumpet spacing on a Gen2 differs from a Gen1 and they sit higher too on the Gen2. If you check Yellowcab's archive (Gen1) and look at his bonnet clearance, it's in the order of 30mm. Luxury !

[Edited on 9/7/12 by bobinspain]

pauladamss

posted on 9/7/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I think the only realistic way of doing it is to cut a hole in the bonnet iv put a suzuki air box on my gsxr i had to turn it around remove a piece from the back of the box and re fibre glass it . Then i have built a power bulge/hump to put over it.I have never used fibre glass before but found it pretty simple to use. I will probably just vinyl rap the bulge. Cost was
£25 air box
£35 fibre glass kit
£20 vinyl

cosmick

posted on 9/7/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
How about if i send the airbox to Mike Fellows to try and if it works, you can fight it out to see who buys it LOL

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

cosmick

posted on 9/7/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
Im in the same posistion as you, gen 2 busa and dont want to cut a hole in the bonnet

I even chopped the original airbox down a lot and we left with so little airbox left it was useless

im sticking with the pipercross till post IVA but after that im determined to find something

How did you cut the airbox down? it took me a while to understand how best to alter the airbox without losing too much volume and to keep it looking standard. the result i have now is no alteration to the top of the airbox at all. Consequently, when you look at it, it is just like the factory made it. We, that is Bobinspain and I might have a solution in you, if you could try the airbox.
Bare in mind that I do not use a Gen 2 Airbox, which would be impossible to modify. I use an earlier GSX R airbox which works well and is the same volume as a Gen1 Busa.

Mike

[Edited on 9/7/12 by cosmick]

bobinspain

posted on 9/7/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant suggestion Mike. (Why didn't I think of that?) Lateral thinking!

There must be a market for more than just Mike Fellows and me.

If Mike F isn't up for it, I'll take the plunge, (I've emailed you 5 mins ago).

MikeFellows

posted on 9/7/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
definitely interested as i haven't cut the plate or unpacked the air filter yet - so would be an easy sale on ebay

as im still not finished the car, I would be happy to test the box to see if it fits. if it does I will send to Bob if not I will do my best to explain where it doesnt fit and send back to you for further mods?

im sure there must be a market for an airbox that fits in a mk with a gen 2 busa, everytime im down at MK they are putting busa engines in customers cars.

cosmick

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
OK Mike,
If you U2U me your address, I will pack it up and send to you for trial, also give me an email address via the U2U and i will forward some photos.

Kind regards,

Mike cosmick

Custardpants

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
TBH i don't mind my bonnet cut up as it hints at whats underneath anyway, but i can understand it with a pristine white bonnet.
MikeFellows

posted on 10/7/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
good point you make

we both have white cars

bobinspain

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Luke,

No MK can be made to look like a wolf in sheep's clothing. They look like a wolf in wolf's clothing.
What I want to avoid Luke, is it looking like a street-rod.
Your car is honed to your requirements, with performance as the ultimate goal.
Mine's an old man's toy for road use, so aesthetics trump performance. (As you know, 175bhp at the wheels. Plenty for me).

I'll take a look at the Mevabusa.
Strangely, the owner of the LHD blue Rocket which has appeared for sale on many sites (35 miler). Began at £15k and now is around £11k through an agent. Mel (the builder/seller) has some 'interesting' stories to tell about his dealings with MEV. We've spent a lot of time on the telephone discussing his car and the possibility of selling here in Spain.
"Nothing is as it seems, nor is it otherwise." from a Zen quotation.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.