Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Sky TV + Broadband ?
mcerd1

posted on 18/1/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Sky TV + Broadband ?

My GF is soon going to be moving in with me
one thing that she's insisting on is sky tv (the bog std. basic package) - freesat doesn't have half of her channels aparently

at the moment I've got BT for the phone and broadband, but I'm looking for a better deal as they now taking between £38 and £52 per month and that without the tv !!!

so the sky tv+phone+broadband is actually looking cheaper...

so whats the catch ?

-

woodster

posted on 18/1/13 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Virgin way better than sky and very fast tinternet and a bit cheaper
Garyd

posted on 18/1/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
No catch, I have sky tv, unlimited broadband and phone with f1 channel etc and pay £60
Best move I made. Free calls on phone as well.

tompat3463

posted on 18/1/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
sky all the way for me too.

good customer service..U actually speak to a british (not being racist) when u call up about a problem.

BT cancellation charges are cheaper that U think thought..

U'd be better off getting everything thru SKY including ur phoneline.

I have the basic tv pack, un-lim broadband, free calls, and HD for £61 a month, th HD box is free too which is a bonus.

I live in the sticks and Virgin isn't and option for TV here so I cant comment on that but to be honest, Sky hass been going longer so I wouldnt expect virgin to be any better.

Cheers Alan

Slimy38

posted on 18/1/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster

In what world is it better? My sister had Virgin, they were lucky to have internet most of the day and when they did it was less than half meg speeds. AND capped to boot! They switched to Sky after the 'Sky One negotiations' debacle.

As long as you've been with BT for more than twelve months, the transfer charges to get everything moved to Sky are minimal. In fact, as a new customer I'm fairly sure Sky did it for nothing. I pay a fair bit, but unlimited fibre broadband and most of the channels with HD, plus something called a 'phone' (old fashioned thing tied to the wall) is well worth the subscription.

gremlin1234

posted on 18/1/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
if you have sky for tv then their adsl (with phone) deals are about the best you'll find,
though the fiber ones don't appear to be discounted for being a tv customer.

the only catch is moving away from them, which might need the line disconnected, and a new connection

edit italics

[Edited on 18/1/13 by gremlin1234]

ChrisL

posted on 18/1/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
wouldn't touch sky with a barge pole, they nice when they're getting you business but turn into nazis if it's not working out. Long story but managed to walk away, they called me a lair and threatened to take me to court. Would never use again, Virgin Media on the other hand, have always been good, even when they screw up, they nice about it and sort it out.
woodster

posted on 18/1/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by woodster

In what world is it better? My sister had Virgin, they were lucky to have internet most of the day and when they did it was less than half meg speeds. AND capped to boot! They switched to Sky after the 'Sky One negotiations' debacle.

As long as you've been with BT for more than twelve months, the transfer charges to get everything moved to Sky are minimal. In fact, as a new customer I'm fairly sure Sky did it for nothing. I pay a fair bit, but unlimited fibre broadband and most of the channels with HD, plus something called a 'phone' (old fashioned thing tied to the wall) is well worth the subscription.

Virgins broadband is way quicker or I should say it is round here ... tvs wifi , 3 lap tops, an iPad , an ipod and 2 iPhones all on the internet at the same time no problem.
TV has a bigger free catch up , I'm on the XL package , on demand huge free music library and ESPN for football both American live games and premier league footy.

I've had both and for the money Virgin every time ..... Just my opinion

woodster

posted on 18/1/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
And if your getting sky tv for sky sports there's always wiziwig , its good on the new smart tv
morcus

posted on 18/1/13 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've experienced both but in different places so it's hard to say either is better, I've had problems with both but I prefer the way sky's menus and controls are set up and the virgin internet here is pretty poor and frequently cuts out, sky did this much less.

I prefered the channels I had with sky, but I probably could get them again if I really wanted too but as anyone who paid for them through on digital will tell you, it's always a risk getting sky channels through another system.

Both are equally as poo to deal with alot of the time, twice they blocked our sky package because they messed up collecting the money, and both times we had to pay three months worth of money in advance, to get it back, and that meant we'd paid for time when it didn't work. We also had alot of problems getting it sorted out when it was fitted, you'd be on the phone for ages with someone trying to help you, then get put through to an 'Engineer' who'd tell you 'says it's working here' and hang up, then you have to go through it all again and talk to someone who can't help you again for ages (And this was the person who was actually trying to help) and then same story, they get you through to someone else who basically insults you and says it's working. When the engineer finally came out he straight away could see the problem (Basically the internet wasn't wired into the flat, at all) and fixed it. My Folks have exactly the same problem with Virgin, only plus side is they can see a bloke in a shop which is much easier than trying to sort stuff by phone.

As with most things in life they're all pretty much the same in terms of service, some people get lucky, some don't but I'd go for sky out of the two, aslong as you get everything through the same company though, you'll get a decent deal.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

coozer

posted on 19/1/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
problem with Virgin is the limited availability. We get flyers through the door with change over offers from Sky.. however the numbskulls haven't got a cable line any where near us!

I subscribe to Sky Sports World HD and get unlimited broadband chucked in for free. Its fast enough for me, every thing pretty instant and downloads are good as well. Never had any trouble with Sky in the 20+ years I've subscribed.

IMO freesat (in my Panasonic) and freeview have a rubbish channels selection.

I'll be sticking here until someone else comes up with a selection of HD sports channels and discovery/documentary channels.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mcerd1

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
problem with Virgin is the limited availability. We get flyers through the door with change over offers from Sky.. however the numbskulls haven't got a cable line any where near us!

same here - the nearest virgin cable is more than 15 miles away with no plans to get any closer
and since I'm going to have to get the sky tv......

-

Johneturbo

posted on 19/1/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
We pay £31.50 with the basic package ie eurosport/discovery channel and unlimited broadband
our broadband speed is higher than when we were with BT as we live in the sticks! so can't complain apart, from sky nicking the F1 Booooo

mcerd1

posted on 22/1/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
well the bullet has been bitten - should have it installed at the weekend (with the phone/BB sorted in a couple of weeks)

I still can't beleve how much of a rip-off BT are....

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.