Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Armed forces lay offs -- the British Army has more horses than tanks.
britishtrident

posted on 18/6/13 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Armed forces lay offs -- the British Army has more horses than tanks.

Reading all the media stories on armed forces lay off it is a strange fact we are laying off front line troups when the British Army has more horses than tanks!

Me thinks perhaps it is time we got rid horses and other extra bits that we don't really need like the Red Arrows and spent the money on the stuff that actually defends our fair land.

[Edited on 18/6/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sprouts-car

posted on 18/6/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you meant hores.

Build blog

Litemoth

posted on 18/6/13 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
So they have 'ladies of the night' as civil servants now?

...how very modern

nick205

posted on 18/6/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
I don't think you meant hores.

Indeed!

britishtrident

posted on 18/6/13 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
So they have 'ladies of the night' as civil servants now?

...how very modern

In decades gone buy The News of the World used to carry of stories of tales of troopers the mounted regiments be caught in the act with the (usually male) great and the good.

[Edited on 18/6/13 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Macbeast

posted on 18/6/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Apples and pears - a horse is not the same as a tank. You might as well say the Army has more portaloos than tanks

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

britishtrident

posted on 18/6/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Apples and pears - a horse is not the same as a tank. You might as well say the Army has more portaloos than tanks

Money spent on portaloos is worth every penny spent !

[/I]

RK

posted on 18/6/13 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't have things like the Red Arrows, you don't have anybody interested in enlisting. It is advertising, and necessary in any organisation that wants to get the best people.
snapper

posted on 18/6/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
So your saying do away with Trooping the Colour
Mounted troops at Horse Guards
Etc etc
Biggest tourist attraction in London changing the guards at Buckingham palace

It realy is not that simple, trust me, its Billions they want not thousands
And as has been said before military strategy has moved away from the tank since the Cold War Europe as battle ground scenario moved

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MakeEverything

posted on 18/6/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
So your saying do away with Trooping the Colour
Mounted troops at Horse Guards
Etc etc
Biggest tourist attraction in London changing the guards at Buckingham palace

It realy is not that simple, trust me, its Billions they want not thousands
And as has been said before military strategy has moved away from the tank since the Cold War Europe as battle ground scenario moved

Yes, the face of the forces has changed massively since Gulf 1 and the falklands.

We have a new fleet of battleships, new weapon systems coming out to replace the old ones, newer sight systems, counter IED kit and more tools to suit the conflicts that tend to be more insurgent than metal versus metal.

However, Syria might be slightly different, though we do still have armoured divisions and the AS90 stashed away.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

big-vee-twin

posted on 18/6/13 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Its boots on the ground that gets the job done despite all the technology available.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

splitrivet

posted on 18/6/13 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Typical of scum sucking politicians......go and fight our war for us boys then we will sack you.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

morcus

posted on 18/6/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Believe it or not, a tank isnt actually very useful for the kind of opperations we have now and forsee and men on horse may actually be more useful in the future. Thats not the issue though, ive no idea what a horse costs but tanks cost millions to buy and massive money to support, id bet you could have 1000 horse for every tank and it still be cheaper for the whole life of the options.

All tje cavalry guys are top soldiers and see hard combat, if you ditched the horse stuff youd still be paying the men so for the sake of a few thousand youd lose alot.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

rpm

posted on 18/6/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
The household cavalry is a duel role organisation, both ceremonial and armoured, I spent 7 years in it and never went near a horse because that's not what I joined the army for, however all cavalry troops are combat trained, I spent my years on light tanks in Windsor and heavy tanks in Germany, as has been said the ceremonial side brings in huge amounts of money/goodwill and world prestige, not to mention keeping traditions alive (no bad thing), unfortunately from a nostalgic point of view heavy tanks and the role the are built for are becoming more obsolete however there is still a huge role worldwide for the light tank and they are what the government are buying nowadays.
theconrodkid

posted on 18/6/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
if they stoped wasting it on foreign aid,heard on the radio today that $1.6 bn (yes that is BILLION) has been earmarked for syria,then maybe we could look after our boys and girls and the elderly in this country

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Irony

posted on 18/6/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
if they stoped wasting it on foreign aid,heard on the radio today that $1.6 bn (yes that is BILLION) has been earmarked for syria,then maybe we could look after our boys and girls and the elderly in this country

Couldn't agree more. This county needs aid before we send it overseas.

02GF74

posted on 18/6/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno about you but I'd rather have horse in my Findus lasagne than a tank

dhutch

posted on 19/6/13 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit, I think this thread appears as miss placed and ill informed as any i have seen.

Dont have anything to do with the army, but I dont see what where your coming at with the horse/tank thing.

Daniel

whitestu

posted on 19/6/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dunno about you but I'd rather have horse in my Findus lasagne than a tank

quote:

Dont have anything to do with the army, but I dont see what where your coming at with the horse/tank thing.

I think it just tastes better!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/6/13 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The weapon of choice now seem to be electronic, in defence, surveillance and attack. I too fail to see how spending on anything that isn't directly utilised in the defence of this Septic Isle is a questionable practice. The politicians, banksters, greed and nore greed have already destroyed it in any case.

An example of how things have changed. Sending a tank (or a horse - canned or not) into Pakistan in the present climate would be (hopefully) entirely questionable, but we are able to fly killer drones over with (almost) political impunity. The Reaper in my mind is the physical development that is particularly disturbing, along with plans to give the thing some autonomy.

I guess blubberments will still require 'real' troops to quell their uprising populations. The disenfranchised youth along with the more active 99% of an excluded population have to be silenced. CS gas, irritant water cannon and thuggery can only scratch the surface. The armies will come in at some point with live rounds. Getting shot will be part of the 'services' that the you're extorted for!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.