Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Apologies for the age old zetec clutch question.
emwmarine

posted on 17/8/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies for the age old zetec clutch question.

OK, I have just got my 2.0 blacktop ready to mate up with my type 9 - but I need a clutch to put in between the two.

I am fitting the lighter 1.8 focus flywheel.

So I know this has been discussed before but can anyone suggest the right clutch cover and friction plate for that combination??

Also where best to get them from?

many thanks for this oft repeated question.

Building a Dax Rush.

coozer

posted on 17/8/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Mk1 Mondeo clutch on mine with a Ct133 Capri release bearing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLUTCH-KIT-FOR-FORD-MONDEO-96-1-6-16V-93-7-94-/230811529843?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bd707273

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

me!

posted on 17/8/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure I used a clutch and cover from a MK1 Mondeo, got it from my local motor factors. Make sure you get the right release bearing CCT133 or equivalent if memory serves. I couldn't get a CCT133, there is a picture of the LUK one + part number I used in my archive. And don't forget the spigot bearing!

There are a few ways of doing it though, might be best to wait for a few others to reply before ordering

Dusty

posted on 17/8/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
An alternative is to use the 2.0L pinto sierra to T9 box clutch plate and pressure plate with the standard CCT132 release bearing. The sierra pressure plate is deeper and thus potentially stronger than the mondeo parts, particularly if you use uprated components. The mondeo 1.8 flywheel needs 9 new holes drilling, six for bolts and three for dowels. Retroford can supply all bits at reasonable cost.
I did use all 1.8 mondeo components initially but suffered clutch slip.

avagolen

posted on 18/8/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
1.8 zetec pressure plate.
Sierra friction plate
Ct133 release bearing
Spigot bearing.

Workes fine with no clearance problems.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

Krismc

posted on 18/8/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I got the standard one and converted to hydraulic, but the mondeo one is the one to go for.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
If going for the 1.8 zetec clutch just make sure it has the 220mm- 1"- 23 spline clutch plate. If the 1.8 was connected to an Ib5 then it will have a smaller centre in the clutch plate and wont fit.
emwmarine

posted on 18/8/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
1.8 zetec pressure plate.
Sierra friction plate
Ct133 release bearing
Spigot bearing.

Workes fine with no clearance problems.

So that means buying a sierra clutch kit and a focus zetec clutch kit? I can't find anyone who sells them seperately,

Building a Dax Rush.

paulf

posted on 18/8/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I used a MK1 1.8 Mondeo clutch cover and plate and to start with just kept the sierra release bearing, but eventually ran out of travel on the pedal plus the cheap clutch started to slip and judder after some heavy use.I replaced the clutch with a good quality unit and made a longer pivot pin for the release bearing arm and replaced the release bearing with a new 2.0 sierra one and have had no problem since, I think it is possible to buy a longer pivot pin but not sure who it is that sells them.
Paul

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Gbs do a longer pivot for the mt75. Saves trying to find the rarer longer bearings. Never seen one for the T9 but I would think its the same idea.
Paul Turner

posted on 18/8/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I think it is possible to buy a longer pivot pin but not sure who it is that sells them.
Paul

My pivot pin fell out about 9 or 10 years ago. Replaced with a HT bolt of suitable dimensions. Been fine ever since. No need to look for a specific pivot pin, just use a longer bolt or a suitable spacer if you want to do that.

Better still use a CT133, if its apart its crazy to fit a new clutch with an old bearing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.