Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gaz Gold shocks.....Anyone any views
Jenko

posted on 28/2/14 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Gaz Gold shocks.....Anyone any views

Anyone used the alloy Gaz gold shocks?....Just wondering as they seem to be very reasonably priced.

P.

[Edited on 28/2/14 by Jenko]

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

itsawindupuk

posted on 28/2/14 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine from rally design and they are brilliant, I paid the extra few quid for the stronger rod ones, its not much more. I tested them at brands hatch and were definitely money well spent.
bi22le

posted on 28/2/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Doing a search and reading on here will tell you that they are a good basic range shock but not the most ideal for our cars due to valving comprimises.

depending on your intended use and if you can stretch to it pro comp will sell you some custom made pro tech shocks that will be perfectly set up for your car. Total cost approx 520 including springs and you will notice a difference.

[Edited on 28/2/14 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ashg

posted on 28/2/14 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by itsawindupuk
I got mine from rally design and they are brilliant, I paid the extra few quid for the stronger rod ones, its not much more. I tested them at brands hatch and were definitely money well spent.

can you quantify? do you have a comparison? I have Gaz on my car and they are ok but i wouldn't say they were excellent. for the money they are a good shock but a little more cash can get a lot better. i am rather fond of bilstein for a road car. if i was racing i would consider penske or ohlin

i have driven a car the same as mine with protec's (front and rear spring rates identical) and they seem pretty reasonable, a little more forgiving on a rough surface than the gaz i have but same ish performance on the limit, from my non professional racing driver ass.

the gaz dampers use a nylon seal on the piston where as protec use a piston ring style seal. aparently there are pros and cons to both.

personally i really like the design and ride of mono shocks as they reduce cavitation, generally have more linear valving, and can be mounted in any orientation unlike twin tubes (gaz and protec)

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

emwmarine

posted on 28/2/14 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had Gaz Gold Pro on my Lotus Elise and they were very good and I have the non-alloy ones on the Dax Rush I am building.

If I had any spare spondoulis I would actually go for Gaz Monotbes as they are meant to be much better for the reasons above.

Building a Dax Rush.

beaver34

posted on 28/2/14 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've used golds on my kit, mono on a vx220 which were good but not as good as a oem bilstien unit on the Elise exige, depends what you want from the car? Comfort or race?
alfas

posted on 19/3/14 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
i replaced my old (1989 westfield) spax shocks for GAZ Gold incl. new coils (same rate as original)

even one of the spax was basically dead the car isnt as balanced anymore as before.

[Edited on 19/3/14 by alfas]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.