Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec engine questions newbie
chris xe

posted on 4/3/14 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec engine questions newbie

Hi guys,
Im looking into buying a tiger avon kit as a 25th birthday present to myself.
I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he said the zetec engine would be a pain to fit, would need "reversing"? And wouldnt mount to a type 9 gearbox. I know hes ttalking bull but thought I would double check before buying the kit and going in blind.
am I right in saying that a blacktop zetec will fit pretty much no problem. Iv seen diagrms of how people run the cooling system and know people commonly run type 9's.
just wanted to know if theres anything to fitting a zetec that will be an added expense or need majorly altering.
Sorry if this is a awfully dumb question. Im a mechanic by trade but not working in a garage at the moment and havent ever built a kit car before so this is all new to me.
Thanks in advance chris

[Edited on 4/3/14 by chris xe]

AntonUK

posted on 4/3/14 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec will mount to the typ 9 no problem with the correct combination of bell housing, clutch, flywheel, release bearing etc.

My Ginetta is a silvertop, mounted to a type 9 no problem.

Others will be able to advise the correct combination

Build Photos Here

wombat

posted on 4/3/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Chris,
Im currently building an Avon with a Silvertop Zetec 2.0.
Engine is in and mounted to Type 9 Gearbox
Have a look in my archive photos.
My first build and with the help of everyone on here it was an easy install.

mcerd1

posted on 4/3/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
the 'zetec E' engines are no problem (the 1.8 / 2.0 silver or black tops)
they can be fitted to both the type 9 and MT75 boxes with little mix and match of starters and clutches etc.
there are at least 2 or 3 tried and tested ways of doing this (search the old threads on here to get you started)

the zetec SE [aka: sigma, aka: zetec S] is a little trickier to fit - this one comes in 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 & 1.7 flavours.
but even then you can buy custom bellhousings to make it a simple fit onto a type 9 box

the 1.8 blacktop engine is worth a look, you can get very low milage or even brand new engines cheaply, its a nice revvy engine and with a set of cams it'll easily match the power output of the stock 2.0

[Edited on 4/3/2014 by mcerd1]

-

chris xe

posted on 4/3/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Awsome thank you for your detailed replies.
Is it possible to use the standard inlet until funds allow throttle bodies or will it foul on the steering column?
Ill check your pics out now wombat thank you

mcerd1

posted on 4/3/14 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
^^ you want to have a read at big_wasa's threads on using the ford ECU's

like this one:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=179921

just keep in mind that using a post August 1995 engine will mean you need a CAT for the IVA test

[Edited on 4/3/2014 by mcerd1]

-

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 7/3/14 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
if you can try and get an st170 engine, basically its a fettled black top but with raised compression and a much better flowing head. Im building one which is almost ready to install for my MK1 fiesta, started life as a budget build just for a bit of fun but got slightly out of hand. It is being set up to run K4 throttle bodies, the itb's cost me 70 and modifying them to suit the car and allow for the remote servo cost around £20. They simply mould stright onto the existing ST170 inlet runners with silicone hoses. If you matched this with say a MS ecu and some good mapping you would be near 200bhp give or take.

Will try and find some pics now, this conversion has been done to death so there is loads of info on some of the other forums go on and 2 of my other pals have done this with fantastic results.

Kind regards

Raj

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=183445

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 7/3/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
ITB's split

STD ST170 Manifold

I filled in the itb injector ports with liquid metal with metal tubes to allow me to feed a vac to the remote servo as I dont like using just a pedal box.

Sorry if this is dragging you off topic but I thought it would be worth throwing in the mix as itsd a very cheap conversion and is the same size as a 1.8 zetec.

I will try and find a pic I took of one of my standard black top heads V st 170 the difference is immence on the inlet side.

Kind regards

Raj

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 7/3/14 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Cant find my pic, but here is a build very similar to mine which gave a return of 270bhp but they used the mroe expensive huyabusa bodies which imo arnt worth the extra money. But you get the idea of what sort of power can be extracted using simple methods. Hope this helps

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140239

Kind regards

Raj

chris xe

posted on 20/3/14 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info there bud. Alot for me to think about lol.
All looks straight forward though. Will be mental in a mk1 fez

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 20/3/14 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, should be fun, aiming for around 200 maybe a touch more but with great drivability and 35+mpg which should make it very livable from a day to day point of view.

Kind regards

Raj

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.