Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with MS in Lincolnshire please?
ChrisLeary

posted on 12/3/14 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Help with MS in Lincolnshire please?

Morning everyone,

In the very near furture I'm hoping to have my car running. It's a 2.0L silvertop zetec with gsxr 750 tb's with MegaSquirt.

I've just moved house from Oxford to Bardney in Lincolnshire. Is there anyone in Lincolshire that is handy with tuning on MS? I'd prefer to get it through the MOT so that I can drive it to Bailey Performance for mapping.

There is a local garage just round the corner that does MOT's so I'm going to chat with them and see if I can use their emissions tester to get the car at the correct level to pass the MOT.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,

Chris

Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer...

BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/3/14 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

We have MOT station next to the rolling road room, I know it more money but it mite be best to transport the car to us fur mapping, then we can arrange MOT.

We have a car trailer - normally £2/mile.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisLeary

posted on 12/3/14 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
Hi Chris,

We have MOT station next to the rolling road room, I know it more money but it mite be best to transport the car to us fur mapping, then we can arrange MOT.

Ah right ok, that's fantastic news! I can get hold of a trailer quite cheaply, so I'll get a towbar fitted on my car and once the 7 is ready for MOT I'll get it booked in with you for mapping and the MOT.

I only have a narrowband sensor fitted, is it worth me purchasing a wideband for mapping purposes?

Thanks,

Chris

BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/3/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisLeary
quote:
Hi Chris,

Ah right ok, that's fantastic news! I can get hold of a trailer quite cheaply, so I'll get a towbar fitted on my car and once the 7 is ready for MOT I'll get it booked in with you for mapping and the MOT.

I only have a narrowband sensor fitted, is it worth me purchasing a wideband for mapping purposes?

Thanks,

Chris

No need for a wide band, I will temporarily fit mine for mapping (remove your narrow band)

We have a large AFR display on the wall.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisLeary

posted on 12/3/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

No need for a wide band, I will temporarily fit mine for mapping (remove your narrow band)

We have a large AFR display on the wall.

Ok brilliant, right then I have something to aim for now! I'll be in touch asap!

Thanks,

Chris

ashg

posted on 12/3/14 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
just book it for an mot in the afternoon and drive it to bailey in the morning. its legal to drive an un mot'd car to a pre booked appointment at a garage to have rectification work carried out for an mot

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

scudderfish

posted on 12/3/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
just book it for an mot in the afternoon and drive it to bailey in the morning. its legal to drive an un mot'd car to a pre booked appointment at a garage to have rectification work carried out for an mot

There must be a reasonableness test to that though. Would it really work to book an MOT in John O'Groats if you live in Cornwall? 'Sorry officer, I know I'm driving past 1500 MOT stations which are meant to test to the same standard and there is no legal basis for preferring one over an other, but I really need to get up North before I can be tested' Even if the letter of the law allows that, if I was a PC I'd be giving your car a very thorough going over for road worthiness.

has anyone ever been stopped trying this?

ChrisLeary

posted on 12/3/14 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's a three hour drive though... Wouldn't, or couldn't it do some damage driving for that length of time and it not running properly?

Like scudderfish says, surely there's a limit on the "driving it to an MOT" rule?

Thanks,

Chris

BaileyPerformance

posted on 13/3/14 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisLeary
quote:

It's a three hour drive though... Wouldn't, or couldn't it do some damage driving for that length of time and it not running properly?

Like scudderfish says, surely there's a limit on the "driving it to an MOT" rule?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, it may damage the engine, or you maybe lucky, all depends on what the part throttle fueling is like.

We had a Feista with a turbo zetec here for mapping afew months ago, the guy drove it here, we did the basic engine check before with did anything else - water, oil, fuel.
The oil level was an inch over the max, i asked the customer and he assured me the oil level was just over the min when he check that morning, so i removed the oil filler cap and gave it a good sniff - petrol!

We drained the oil in the garage next door, was like piss, new oil and filter and the engine ran OK - we mapped it but it was down on power and breathed. So i think it was bore washed. This guy drove his car from the west midlands (40miles) instead of paying me £2/mile transport.....and scrapped a forged turbo zetec engine....cost £1500.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.