Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Head Gasket query
Locost82

posted on 7/9/05 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Head Gasket query

Just rebuilt the Locost racing engine, and I've run it for around an hour so far.

Did a precautionary oil change and noticed the dreaded MILKY SLUDGE in the rocker cover gasket.

Initial thoughts were that the head gasket (new with the rebuild) had failed or the head was warped. Head off, gasket looks fine, head and block fine too.

Could it be CONDENSATION?

If so, can I reuse the head gaskett?

Danozeman

posted on 7/9/05 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Did u wash the head out then u did it? Water in it somewhere?

Not advisable to re use the gasket.

[Edited on 7/9/05 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Locost82

posted on 7/9/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I gave the block and sump a really good clean, but I'm pretty sure there was no water hiding anywhere as the block was turned over regularly during the rebuild and the sump was washed out with petrol.

The head wasn't touched, and there was no yogurt in the rocker cover before the build!

Confused!!

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/9/05 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
what engine is it, make & size?

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

GParkes

posted on 7/9/05 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Did you clean out the head bolt holes in the block before reasembly? It sounds like a thorough rebuild so I expect you did.

It can be a problem if oil gets into the threads and the bolts don't torque up properly meaning the head is not as tight as it should be, then the oil and water can mix. Depending on your engine building knowledge it can be difficult to see if the gasket has been breached or not.

I would make sure you can srew the head bolts in without the cylinder head on using your fingers right up to the end.

Don't reuse the old gasket!

Gavin

Locost82

posted on 7/9/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the advice

I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with the block or head, and the gaskett looks 'like new', hence the confusion.

I'm getting another gasket tomorrow to try again, and I'm racing at Brands this weekend whether it's cured or not!!

britishtrident

posted on 7/9/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oil and water temp up to temp before the engine was shutdown ?
Locost82

posted on 12/9/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
NIGHTMARE

Had an absolute nightmare over the weekend.

Refitted the cylinder head with a new gasket and noticed water flowing UP A VALVE STEM onto the top of the head. And this was 15 hours before a race!

Had the head skimmed (all I had time to do) and refitted the head with another new gasket. This time water rushing up a pushrod tube onto the top of the head, and then down into the sump. Emulsified the new oil in about 5 minutes.

Result: 2 missed races and engine in bits again!!

I'm now working on another bottom end (have most of the parts ready to go) so I can bolt the head onto that and see whether it cures the prtoblem. If it does it must have been the block, if not it must be the head. Either way I'll know, don't care which, just need to know!

NS Dev

posted on 12/9/05 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like the head is cracked to me
omega 24 v6

posted on 12/9/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
check you have'nt put in a cyl head bolt while there was oil in the threaded hole. You can crack the block casing with the resulting hydraulic forces.
Peteff

posted on 12/9/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got the gasket the right way up? I have seen some that are very similar either side up but expose oil and water galleries.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Locost82

posted on 14/9/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Eureka!!

I was chatting through the problem with my dad last night. At the end of the previous race there were NO indications of water in the oil, despite running for 45 minutes after any damage would have occurred.

The problem came to light after the rebuild and seemed to get worse AFTER I had the head skimmed. The threads were cleaned both times before the head was fitted.

If the block was cracked, I'd have expected the symptoms to be the same before and after the head was skimmed. The block has been decked in the past.

This led us to conclude that the head bolts could be bottoming out in their threads before the head was pulled down correctly. As far as I know the head bolts are standard.

This would:
Give indications of correct torquing
Leave a gap between the head and the block
Get worse when the head was skimmed.

Tonight I'm going to torque the head down without a gasket and see if there is any space between the head and the head of the bolts.

I'll let you know what I find, but I have never shortened the bolts despite there being quite a bit of head/block removal over the years!

Anybody had experience of this??

NS Dev

posted on 14/9/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
..............going back to my previous post!

have you checked to see if the HEAD is cracked!

very common on crossflow heads. Quick dye penetrant check may save you countless head gasket sets!

Locost82

posted on 14/9/05 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Is a dye penetrant check something I could do myself or is it an engineering firm job?
David Jenkins

posted on 14/9/05 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
The usual place for a x-flow head to crack is at the narrow piece between cylinders 2 and 3 - there's a waterway just below and there's not much metal there. On the heads where I've seen this, the crack has been easily visible.

The usual causes are removing or tightening the head bolts in the wrong sequence, or not doing it in easy stages.

I hope this isn't the problem, as fixing it is very difficult - not impossible, but probably uneconomical.

rgds,
David

rusty nuts

posted on 14/9/05 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be worth just removing one head bolt at a time and putting on a thick washer? then retorque. 20mins work and no head gasket replacement. If bolts have not been clamping gasket it may be reusable ?
NS Dev

posted on 15/9/05 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The usual place for a x-flow head to crack is at the narrow piece between cylinders 2 and 3 - there's a waterway just below and there's not much metal there. On the heads where I've seen this, the crack has been easily visible.

The usual causes are removing or tightening the head bolts in the wrong sequence, or not doing it in easy stages.

I hope this isn't the problem, as fixing it is very difficult - not impossible, but probably uneconomical.

rgds,
David

Knew I had seen a few cracked but couldn't remember where they went! Cheers.

You can do dye penetrant diy, just buy some dye and developer sprays, they are very cheap. Having said that, as David said, you will probably be able to see a crack anyway if you clean the head thoroughly and inspect it carefully.

I always keep some dye penetrant handy though, good to check cranks with it to avoid things like this happening!!!:

MikeR

posted on 15/9/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
can't see out wrong with that crank - might have a slight amount of 'bow' in it but looks fine.........

of course the fact i can SEE the crank might indicate another problem

crbrlfrost

posted on 15/9/05 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, thats an impressive picture. Anyway, I would stay away from shortening the bolts and use a hardened washer if possible. Wouldn't want to mess up the temper of the head bolts.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.