Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield, why all the hate
JackNco

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield, why all the hate

Hey all,

Im sure a few of you will have seen me posting on this forum and to those who havent, hello.

Ive noticed quite alot of mixed feelings on here, and i can understand why some people might not like the caterham lot on here as the people that drive them supposedly just throw money at them and arnt that nice.

But i have also noticed while trauling through the archives that alot of people dont seem to like the westfield crowd.

But what is this. you can build a westfile SDV for under 7k plus the engine and thats on westfields prices. im sure you could get a westfield on the road for about 5.5/6k if you did a locost build.

Im in the planning stages of a westfield build, and i based my decision based on the looks of the car and the ease of build, so far ive gone through every part on the build and think i can do it for under 6k over a couple of years.

So is it just thepeople that drive them or does it run deeper than that. why dont alot of people like westys on here?

Look forward to reading all your replies

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/9/06 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
I don't believe its a case of us locost owners,not liking westfield owners,or caterham owners,for me at least I seen it as only a bit of harmless banter,the same as you get on other forums,between,honda civic type r owners,and mitsubishi evo owers,and nissan skyline owners,they all believe there cars are better than all the rest,for whatever reason,its only the same kind of banter we have on this forum between,cec and bec,when everyone no's,bec are best
mandbsheldon

posted on 28/9/06 at 04:21 AM Reply With Quote

nre

posted on 28/9/06 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Well I drive a Sylva Mojo, which tends to polarise opinion, , but I have been involved in my local Westfield meets, Locost meets, and run a local Sylva meet, and have found everyone to be universally friendly. I think a lot of friendly banter tends to go on in the forums (I frequent the forums of the aforementioned groups) but when you get to meet people face to face there is no animosity, just genuine interest in each others cars.

Just noticed your post on local meets- you are more than welcome to come along to my West Mids Sylva Meet, JAG on here runs a Locost meet in these parts, and there is also a Westie meet that gets together at Hatton just outside Warwick.

Cheers,

Neil

[Edited on 28/9/06 by nre]

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

russbost

posted on 28/9/06 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
At the Dick Turpin meet last nite in Essex there were a couple of Westfields came along for the first time, one of them does occasionally frequent this forum i believe, there was, as is said above interest in each others cars, certainly no animosity, couldn't fault the build quality of the Westies as you'd expect.
Most of it is idle wind up banter, & I'm sure there are plenty of pleasant Cat***am owners out there - we just haven't met any!

Neil, congratulations on not being a sheep like some on here & going you're own way with the Mojo - everyone with a brain knows that, like bec, mid engined is best>

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Marcus

posted on 28/9/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
There's no animosity between me and Westfield / Caterham owners. I think it stems from the 'cheque book 7' jibes of old. This site started out as a Locost site, where anything in excess of £2500 was deemed far too expensive for a toy (I'm still of that opinion!). There are people on here with £15k+ cars - well into Caterham teritory - who still have a pop at Caterham for being expensive, if it weren't for Caterham, I doubt most of us would have Locosts / Indys etc. Live and let live is what I say, and don't get carried away spending money on toys. Oh, and by the way, BUILD YOUR OWN CHASSIS!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 28/9/06 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have no gripe with ANY of the seven manufacturers as long as what they are selling is good quality.

Westfield is pretty much unbeatable in terms of quality per £ spent.......that is simple fact.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

procomp

posted on 28/9/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi i am also a big big fan of the westfields . A quality product at a verry good price with all the backup you will ever need. And with 20+ years in the industry have a fairly good idea of what they are doing unlike some others.

Cheers matt

smart51

posted on 28/9/06 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
There are a couple of westfields turn up to the south birmingham locost meet. They're nice chaps. Westfields were the locosts of their day, I'm told. Pre-RonChapmion, there were few to choose from. Caterhams were expensive. Robin hoods weren't and then there were Westfields. MNRs and MKs are Johnny-come-latelys in comparison.

Westfields can, and are often, built complete as new cars. There is a perception that these people are less kitcary than the should be and so are treated like caterham owners.

Personally, I think that MNRs are the best of the breed and everyone else drives a lesser car. Westfield, Caterham, they're all the same.

mookaloid

posted on 28/9/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I have no problem with westies or their owners
graememk

posted on 28/9/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
westies are great cars my uncle and cousin both have one, however "some" owners can be a bit snobish, but not all
Coose

posted on 28/9/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
When I lived in Surrey I went along to a Westie meet (can't remember where - it was a little village with a pub on the green, so that narrows it down! ) and it was one of the best meets I've been to! I'd only recently bought my (then 1340 x-flow) Striker and they couldn't leave it alone!

Then (as very rarely happens) someone shouted "Drink up, we're going!", at which point about 14 cars went for a rather eager blat! That has never happened at any other meets I've been to, be it Lotus 7 club, SSR or anything else!

Spin 'er off Well...

David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a lot of respect for Westfield - they sell an honest product at a reasonable price, with excellent customer service.

Of course the service, top-class website, glossy build manuals all have to be paid for and the kit prices reflect that - but where else can you buy a kit car that could be built and on the road within a week or so? (DVLA & VOSA permitting!).

I respect them a lot more than I respect Caterham (the company that is, not the car itself). At least Westfield are still innovating and developing new cars, rather than tarting up existing models.

David

j30fos

posted on 28/9/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
:-)

I've had an MK ( good car ) the reason I've now had 3 westys is because they're a lot easier to sell and have a wider fan base. I think the best thing with the BEC body is the fibreglass is bloody good quality.

I think you get snobs in all types of 7's

For me everyone is at a different time in life, some have more money than others but the main aim is still the same, its all about fun / performance and having a toy

DarrenW

posted on 28/9/06 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
No issue with any makes / owners from me. I attend the ne7ers meets regularly at the Old Churchmouse near Durham and you couldnt meet a nicer bunch. Good % of westie and caterham owners and also now MK's, ST's, Mac1, Elise etc. All muck in together. 2 very nice Caterhams turn up regularly (R500 superlight and SCR260), both owners are spot on.

We all share a common passion which in my book counts for more than how much you spend. We all p1ss in the same pot at the end of the day. I for one never join in the bad banter discussed ref some of the marques. If i had more disposable income i would happily buy an exotic Caterham.

mookaloid

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
So in summary then, it seems that Westies and their owners are welcome here, and there is no 'hate' just a bit of friendly banter.

Hate is a terrible word - I wish people wouldn't use it in relation to things we discuss on here. Hate is what terrorists do. I suspect that the worst emotion with regard to someone elses car on here might be 'mild dislike' or 'not to my taste'

I'll get my coat now....

Cheers

Mark

tobymack

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I am a bit late to this discussion but, as a westfield owner, I agree. I have never had any animosity from any locost or other 7 owner, either on forums or in person.

That is excluding a small minority of caterham owners who really do appear to have an inferiority complex

nre

posted on 28/9/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Neil, congratulations on not being a sheep like some on here & going you're own way with the Mojo - everyone with a brain knows that, like bec, mid engined is best>

I could say the same to you (ie not being a sheep!)

Agree re mid engines, and love both becs and cecs for their different qualities... but give me my cec for my daily driver anyday!

Neil

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

perksy

posted on 28/9/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
We have Mk's, Locost's etc at our Local WSCC monthly meetings and EVERYBODY is made welcome

We all enjoy our cars

Guinness

posted on 28/9/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think that most of the animosity is in good humour, and goes along the lines of mine is better than yours. Everyone has there own reasons for chosing a particular car / brand / kit and there is a natural tendancy to hang around the particular forum with other people who came to the same or similar conclusions.

But at the end of the day everyone who bought a 7 style car has a "similar" interest, hence why people read / watch / participate in other 7's forums than their own. From that comes the cross posting of "well he said Caterhams are crap" etc etc.

As Darren said, the NE7ER's is a good laugh, with a wide range of 7's / owners in attendance. We all share a common interest in 7 style cars. We don't get loads of Saxo's with neon lights attending and we ALL take the wee out of Darren's Pinto, just as all the lads take the wee out of Mark's and my thirst for bike engines! (3 each, so far!)

Cheers

Mike

Coose

posted on 28/9/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
One thing you fail to mention is that all ne7ers stink of wee!

Spin 'er off Well...

JackNco

posted on 28/9/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
WOW Wasnt expecting that many responses. long as i know i wont be shunned by the majority of & owners.

As for welding my own chassi. well i cant weld..... so that would bea bit of a challange. plus ide never have any confidence in anytihng that vital ide put together. im as likely to cast my own engine block.

Cheers for all the feedback,

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

NS Dev

posted on 28/9/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
That's just it then, if you are not technically brilliant and no expert in terms of welding etc then the westfield is without doubt that car for you (after caterham but price tends to rule them out!!! )

If you are careful where you buy bits from (not all the bits HAVE to come from westfield remember, things like shocks etc may be cheaper from elsewhere for exactly the same item) then a westfield is little more expensive than an average " very well built" Locost, but of course the westfield will also command a better sale price ultimately so there is no loss overall.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Pezza

posted on 28/9/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

When I lived in Surrey I went along to a Westie meet (can't remember where - it was a little village with a pub on the green, so that narrows it down!

That'll be the parrot inn at forest green
Still go along most months even though I aint owned a westy for nigh on 2 years lol
Cracking group of people tbh.

Ben

[Edited on 28-9-06 by Pezza]

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

mawmaw

posted on 29/9/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
as far as banter is concerned it pails compared to the BEC vs CEC banter on the sylva site !!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.