Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How about a show avatars on/off switch on profiles?
Catpuss

posted on 20/4/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
How about a show avatars on/off switch on profiles?

I was thinking, how about an on/off switch within our control pannels for displaying avatars within postings?

With this it would be possible to view the forums with out the "work unfriendly" avatars getting people in trouble/the site blocked at work for people who can have t'internet access at lunch.

Fred W B

posted on 20/4/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
once more, please
cadebytiger

posted on 20/4/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
tis a good idea to have some kind of option i guess. there are always going to be people who have not read this or the previous post.
cadebytiger

posted on 20/4/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
tis a good idea to have some kind of option i guess. there are always going to be people who have not read this or the previous post.
ELO

posted on 20/4/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Definately a good idea IMO
I work at a school and so never check this site at work - can't take the risk.

Actually just noticed this... once you hit "Reply" the screen comes up with the text box etc and underneath it are the previous posts (in reverse order) but without the avatars

So if must be poss to have some sort of work friendly site?

ed

BenB

posted on 20/4/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
With Firefox there is a showimage toggle plug-in... Works for me... Only trouble is then you can't see any pictures!!!
stevebubs

posted on 20/4/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
With Firefox there is a showimage toggle plug-in... Works for me... Only trouble is then you can't see any pictures!!!

Same button exists in IE

Fozzie

posted on 20/4/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a discussion with ChrisW with regard to this.......

and you are right, it is all or nothing..

This topic comes up regularly, and its not just in the work place but at home too.
This site is used by a lot of colleges, and at home, 'other halves' and kids like to see the cars and progress......

It seems as though some people just don't care, which is a shame.

The same goes for wrong postings ie you click on a topic from the front page and it is something that 'should' be in 'Mad House', which doesn't show on the front page, 'just in case its a 'risque' post!

It is hard for some people to define what is the line of 'good taste', but I will say, that this is a car building site, and there are forums (no doubt), if you want to see/show 'such' avatars/pictures.......

However, if you feel that someone is 'pushing' the boundries with regard to the avatars, then try a U2U to them.
I am sure that most people, if not all, would happily oblige with something more 'decent' /work/home safe.

I will happily take the issue up with ChrisW again, but, no-one has u2u'd/emailed me with a specific avatar issue....yet! .....

HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Catpuss

posted on 21/4/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I guess the thing is wether the hosted forum is either a customisable package or not. It seems to be in php so wil be just script rather than binaries (asusming it doesn't have a load of binaries too).

As long as the script is editable, I guess another Profile Option for "Show Avatars Y/N" could be added, then on rendering the HTML avatars could be ignored.

It may even help cut down bandwidth usage on the site too & speed up access for people with slower connections.

Catpuss

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Catpuss
Yes, I guess the thing is wether the hosted forum is either a customisable package or not. It seems to be in php so wil be just script rather than binaries (asusming it doesn't have a load of binaries too).

As long as the script is editable, I guess another Profile Option for "Show Avatars Y/N" could be added, then on rendering the HTML avatars could be ignored.

It may even help cut down bandwidth usage on the site too & speed up access for people with slower connections.

Do'h forgot the important bit... I guess it would either need a new database column or table adding too

orbital

posted on 18/7/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I was just looking through to see if this sort of thing had been brought up before. It isn't so much the content of the pictures that gets on my threps, more the size of some of the avatars!!

My laptop screen has a pretty good resolution but on some threads you have to scroll for five minutes to find the thread contents (OK an exaggeration on my part but you get my gist). I just find it a real pain is ass to be honest and makes some of the threads a chore to read (even though they contain info your after). I mean I like a nice avatar myself but you might as well be looking at photobucket with the size of some of them.

Most other forums I'm a member of have a max size for there avatars, got to be a good idea I reckon?

Cheers

Dave

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.