Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mot and exhaust
oadamo

posted on 15/8/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
mot and exhaust

hi i want to run just the cat and no boxes on my audi 1.8t engine do you think it will pass the mot like this.
adam

DIY Si

posted on 15/8/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite likely to be a bit loud. Which can cause a fail. Otherwise, no real issue.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

SeaBass

posted on 15/8/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
It's quite likely to be a bit loud. Which can cause a fail. Otherwise, no real issue.

Since when can noise affect a car MOT?? Not to my knowledge. The test is simply for blowing on the exhaust IMHO.

Ratters

posted on 15/8/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si

Since when can noise affect a car MOT?? Not to my knowledge. The test is simply for blowing on the exhaust IMHO.

I think it can be failed on noise but at the testers descretion if it is excessively noisy. I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem though.

DIY Si

posted on 15/8/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC it can be a fail, but as said above, only at the testers discretion. So he may have a go at you, but not actually fail.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

rusty nuts

posted on 15/8/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Car CAN fail if fitted with an exhaust that in the testers opinion is louder than normal.
oadamo

posted on 15/8/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
ill have to slip the tester some cash then .
adam

bigrich

posted on 15/8/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
section 7.1 of the testers manual

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

adam try a fiver under the handbrake lever,saves the embarrasment of offering the cash LOL

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/8/07 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't even get as far as offering a lost note once. Pulled up outside the testing station (which had all its doors shut), the tester came outside, looked at me & asked if I had brought it down for test. I said 'Yes', he replied FAIL and went back inside shutting the door as he went.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

DIY Si

posted on 16/8/07 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
What had you done to wee him off? Even complete sheds of mine have at least had a once over before failing!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.