Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Its Guess the Wishbone Time!
Simon S
Contributor

Posts 20
Registered 18/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Own designed single seat track day car

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Its Guess the Wishbone Time!

Hi Folks,

Got hold of a set of wide track wishbones, but my question is what uprights are the upper wishbones suitable for, Cortina or Sierra? Wishbone dimensions are 250mm from the inboard pivot centre to the tip of the bush tube to hold the upright ball joint, the inboard (chassis end) bush tubes are 228mm from one outer edge to the other and the ball joint pivot centreline intersects the inboard bush tube centreline to split it 89mm/139mm. (sketch in my photo archive as wasn't sure how to attach it to the post)

Any ideas? I am having trouble getting confirmation that these are for Cortina uprights rather than Sierra ones.

Cheers! Rescued attachment wishbone.jpg
Rescued attachment wishbone.jpg

ecosse

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the size of the bottom bone as to what upright they will fit
Avoneer

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's the top one that matters.

The bottom can be in the same place on Sierra and Cortina, but it's the top one that matters as the offset of the top ball joints are different.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ecosse

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
It's the top one that matters.

The bottom can be in the same place on Sierra and Cortina, but it's the top one that matters as the offset of the top ball joints are different.

Pat...

That works both ways though doesn't it?
especially if the bones are not standard size, no way to tell without knowing what size the bottom one is

Cheers

Alex

Simon S
Contributor

Posts 20
Registered 18/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Own designed single seat track day car

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Gents,

I had assumed that the top wishbone would identify its target upright based on its geometry and hence its induced castor angle, which is different between the Cortina & Sierra.

Looking at the bottom wishbone size it has an inboard bush tube centre to end of balljoint pivot tube distance of 440mm, exactly 100mm greater than the Cortina based 'book' design.

The top Cortina based 'book' wishbone design dimension for this is 175mm, and the new wishbone in question being 250mm is not an equivalent 100mm greater in induced track increase.

Does this alone point to the wishbone being for Sierra? If someone can comment on the geometry and induced castor angle I think that would seal it.

Cheers,

Simon

ecosse

posted on 22/9/07 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon S
Gents,

I had assumed that the top wishbone would identify its target upright based on its geometry and hence its induced castor angle, which is different between the Cortina & Sierra.

Looking at the bottom wishbone size it has an inboard bush tube centre to end of balljoint pivot tube distance of 440mm, exactly 100mm greater than the Cortina based 'book' design.

The top Cortina based 'book' wishbone design dimension for this is 175mm, and the new wishbone in question being 250mm is not an equivalent 100mm greater in induced track increase.

Does this alone point to the wishbone being for Sierra? If someone can comment on the geometry and induced castor angle I think that would seal it.

Cheers,

Simon

I'm not 100% on this but I thought that the sierra required a shorter (than book) size bone for the same length bottom bone?
I'm sure there was a thread about the differences, although I'm struggling to find it now

Cheers
Alex

Avoneer

posted on 22/9/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Using book bones, the top bone needs to be shorter for the Cortina - I think.

Hmmmm.

Pat...

Sorry - everything I think is complete contradiction to ecosse - no offence.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ecosse

posted on 22/9/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Sorry - everything I think is complete contradiction to ecosse - no offence.

LOL...no worries Pat

Cheers

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.