Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Puma cam belt
lukefab

posted on 30/9/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Puma cam belt

Hi ,
My Daughters Puma as broke its cam belt and the garage is quoting big money to repair it.
Is it worth taking the head off to check out the valves and pistons or do I buy a second hand engine ?
Its the 1700cc 16v Zetec.
I have been brought up with the old Crossflow type engine so I know b**ger all about the Zetecs.
Thanks
Keith.

jollygreengiant

posted on 30/9/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cylinder head off and at least 5 valves and guides. Cheapest is second hand head OR second hand engine. you would be best off getting prices then factor in gaskets and make you mind up.
Oh and don't forget to fit a new cambelt & tensioners.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

lukefab

posted on 30/9/07 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am hoping for the 2nd option, "second hand head"
If all else fails, its a 2nd hand engine
I have been quoted between £600--£750.
All I have to do now is strip it down.

Thanks again !

Keith

rusty nuts

posted on 30/9/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about a recon head? Have used Head Technique in Telford in the past.
skydivepaul

posted on 30/9/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
strip it down and whip the head off for a look first. a lot of the price you will have been quoted for is labour.
I had the cam belt go on my vectra sri a few years ago. i stripped it down and the pistons were o.k. and it had just bent five valves, changed these and rebuilt it o.k.
cost me about £80.00 in total for valves and gaskets

cheers

Paul

[Edited on 30/9/07 by skydivepaul]

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Mansfield

posted on 30/9/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
You need John Arnold, 01623 477854. He works from home in a properly appointed workshop that we could only dream of.

He is the proprietor of J.A.Engineering Services, 76 Somersall St, Mansfield, NG19. Don't look for him on the net as you will only find the reminants of a guy who bought, and subseqently failed, a business trading in his name. He is 100% legit, the guy who tried to buy the business is not.

30 years experience, you can deliver/pick up evenings or weekends and the prices are good too. Done a great job (and quick too) for me recently with a Vauxhall Tigra head (see my recent posts for state of the head).

If you take the head to him he will tell you how much it will cost. Or even a quick chat on the phone will cost you nothing and could save you £££.

As a guide, I wanted a head skimmed but didn't want to wait for it. He said he would do it for £25 within 2 hours of me bringing to him and I didn't need to pre warn him.

Ended up giving him £170 because the head needed lots of work and he supplied parts.

For that £170 I got.

£36 full top end gasket set.
£12 new head bolts.
£55 head welding (the one thing he doesn't do)
That = £103.

For the remaining £67 he did the following:

Stripped the head of both manifolds, all 16 valves and lifters, skimmed the head after welding , recut the valve seats, leak tested the seats/valves, put new the new valve stem seals in and put all the valves in. The bits he took off were neatly supplied to me in a couple of boxes. 5 day turn around although I could have had it quicker if I needed it - 2 days of that were with the welder in Nottingham. I would not have done all that for £67.

I have only met him twice (drop off and pick up) but I will vouch for him 100% - he did a great job for me.

U2U me if you want any more info.

David

Edit - he would do the whole job if you got the car to him but as said earlier most of the cash is in taking the thing apart and putting it back together.

[Edited on 30/9/07 by Mansfield]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.