Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Got a new job - Finally
John P

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Got a new job - Finally

As some of you know I was made redundent at the beginning of February and being 58 have found it very difficult to even get interviews.

Anyway, at last I've got a new job as the Works Manager of a company who make architectural metalwork (primarily metal and glass doors). It's not quite as well paid as my last role and the sick pay is pretty poor but at least I'm back in work.

Main thing I learned was that you need a short but compelling CV. My original CV was 6-pages long and by the end I'd got it down to 2-sides.

I was making the mistake of trying to sell myself on paper rather than just giving enough info to get an interview.

John.

worX

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats!!! And all the best in your new job!

Steve

02GF74

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
WELL DONE THAT MAN!!!

Although ageism is supposed to no longer exist, I bet it does.

I removed all dates from my CV although it should be still possible to determine my age by number of years I have done in each job - guess I need to remove those too

pewe

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
John, best of luck.
About time companies realised that older normally means more experienced and a skills set which just aren't being acquired by the younger workforce.
Now about those oval suspension arms everyone keeps asking for....
Cheers, Pewe

Guinness

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well done that man.

I totally agree about the value of having a good CV. I struggled for 18 months to change jobs once. Talking to a mate in the pub one night and he offered to have a look at my cv with me. We updated it, thinned it down and changed the layout.

Got 4 interviews the following month and changed jobs soon after.

Cheers

Mike

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Good news!

6 page CV...ouch! Bet they never even read it mate. When you get 20-50 cv's 6 pages go straight to the bottom of the pile.

stevec

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well done mate. Yeh a short CV is best, a HR guy told me that CVs of more than 3 or 4 pages go straight in the bin Made redundant myself last week, New job and more money next week! I am 52 so I was bricking it a bit for being a bit old.
Good luck in your new job.
Steve.

ditchlewis

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats

thats a good tip about keeping the CV short. mine is only 2 sides and only covers the most recent in any detail. i know that if they are longer many are put in the bin

ditch

mad dad

posted on 30/11/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats on getting fixed up, helps to put a summary of key skills and qualifications at the start especially suited to the job you are going for and then some brief info after that showing experience etc etc. Sounds obvious but competency to do the job is a key area so if you can show this up front it helps....

[Edited on 30/11/07 by mad dad]

onzarob

posted on 30/11/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P My original CV was 6-pages long and by the end I'd got it down to 2-sides.

It difficult to do, but worth it. I been on both side of the interview and sieving through 100 cv's for one job can be difficult, so short and sweet is great

Congrats.

thebull

posted on 30/11/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
well done and good luck with the new job

jimmyjoebob

posted on 30/11/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
CVs are always tricky.

A useful tip is to put your address and contact details on the second page - your first page is the place to make yourself stand out from the crowd by writing useful information that will earn you an interview.

If they want to contact you they will read the whole document.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.