Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GOT MY REG NUMBER, plates from where?
ditchlewis

posted on 28/12/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
GOT MY REG NUMBER, plates from where?

I GOT MY REG NUMBER I'M LEGAL

A Q plate

Do halfords do number plates?

the rear can be a normal size but the front? i no it is not totally legal but can you get smaller sizes such as bike plates that i can put on the front?

or do i just leave the plate off the front and wait till i get pulled?

what do you all think

ditch

donut

posted on 28/12/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Halfrauds and most motorfactors do plates. you will need id and v5 i think in order for them to do them.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Try your local sign shop - they can make non-standard sized plates to your spec. I would recommend keeping as close as possible to the 'normal' size but sometimes a small size change can make a huge difference to the look of the car.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
My local motor factors/hardware shop was so much cheaper than halfords and the chap in the shop knew what he was doing. Took under 3 mins to walk out the door with a set, in halfords it took about half an hour
Peteff

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can't get bike front plates, they don't have them . You need to take gas bill/passport/V5 to get a legal set made nowadays. If you can get the spacing closer it may help or a slightly smaller font on the front plate but a legal rear.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

phoenix70

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use halfords unless you have to, they will charge you about twice what the average factor will charge.
David Jenkins

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ditch,

There's a place just off Felixstowe Road that does radiators & number-plates. I'm just off to scoff my dinner, but I'll send you the address in an hour or so.

Well-made plates, minimal name of plate maker!

David

UPDATE:

Sheldrake & Wells
Osborne Road
Ipswich

(Just behind where Galaxy Models used to be, on Felixstowe Road)

Open Sat, but only in the morning

[Edited on 28/12/07 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts

posted on 28/12/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Any motor radiator suppliers should be able to make them up while you wait . As already said you will need I.D etc and the form that should have come with the reg number. The forecast for Sunday doesn't look too bad but watch the roads , they are very slippery. Have fun.
ditchlewis

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
many thanks lads. David J I will give that place a go.

I've been issued with the certificate of entitlement to a reg number. i will take that and the relevant doc's to prove who i am.

glad to hear that i will get them tomorrow

i just wanted to get a smaller plate for the front so that it looked better. the best look would be none at all it just fell off officer honest

i also need to get a water proof tax disc holder and i can get out on the road just a pity the weather is so bad

i feel well chuffed that i now have a road legal car and the trials and tribulations are all in the past now.

time for the wind screen, wipers and also i will have to make some weather gear.

ditch

lotustwincam

posted on 28/12/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently a NON regulation size number plate is a bigger offence than no plate at all !!

See HERE

rusty nuts

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Also incorrect size number plates MAY be an MOT failure although at the moment the new rules brought in recently have been suspended until further notice.
worX

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just leave it off the front Ditch, it's much better for it to have "fallen off officer" than for it to be purposely illegal...
I've done a few thou in mine now with no front plate and (touching wood) have been fine so far.

Part of the reason that I think it goes slightly unnoticed is the fact that the cars look right without a front plate and therefore your eye isn't naturally attracted to the fact that it's missing...

Steve

anyway, fingers crossed whichever way you go!

stuart_g

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ditch,

Wilco on Norwich rd are well cheap, I had one made for my bike trailer a few months back and didn't cost much at all.

HTH
stu.

RoadkillUK

posted on 30/12/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
We have finally put on a front number plate Needed one for it's first MOT after 3 years.

Never got pulled for it, but then again ... there needs to be police on the street for that to happen.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

02GF74

posted on 3/1/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You can't get bike front plates, they don't have them . You need to take gas bill/passport/V5 to get a legal set made nowadays. If you can get the spacing closer it may help or a slightly smaller font on the front plate but a legal rear.

not true; they used to have front place on the mudguard but these were made illegal in 1660.

you don't need V5 if you have the certificate from DVLA that is sent before they issue the V5.

How about a stick on number plate onto the nose cone - then no need to worry about the spacing.

Has anyone had trouble at MOT with stick on plates now that the rules have been tightened?

RazMan

posted on 3/1/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
My front plate is stick-on and (ahem) a tad undersized too. I have done loads of miles now in over a year with no hassle from Mr Plod ....... so far anyway.

Keep it as near as possible to the law and you won't go far wrong imo - just stay away from silly spacing and 'artistic' fonts.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

flak monkey

posted on 3/1/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a titchy front plate on mine. Not had any issues in 4000miles. But the police do have clamp downs on them every now and again and have been fining people rather than just issuing a notice requiring you to get it changed. I have a full size one behind the passenger seat...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.