Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: seat belt mounts on the roll bar
cjtheman

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
seat belt mounts on the roll bar

does anybody know what the regs are reguarding them as i am about to weld my mounts to the roll bar lower brace
cheers
colin

[Edited on 6/2/08 by cjtheman]

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

Mole

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the regs but thats how they are done on the Haynes Roadster
pajsh

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
They will have to meet the projections rule of not less than 2.5mm rad contactable and the seatbelt mountings rules of sleeving hollow components. Details all in the SVA manual.

And or course Mr SVA man must be satisifed the mountings are strong enough and with the correct marked bolts but that applies wherever they are.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

cjtheman

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
cheers pajsh
do you know if there is min thread that must be used for the eye bolts
also height and distance apart
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

Mole

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
11mm or 7/16 is the minimum. 8.8 grade
cjtheman

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
cheers mole
just need to sort out the height for the lower brace as i havent welded it in yet
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

lsdweb

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you wrap the harness around the roll bar brace? This is how a large proportion of race and rally cars do it and it's got to be a far better engineering principle! I passed SVA a few years ago like that with my Fury.

cjtheman

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
thanks lsdweb
that could be an option

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

lotustwincam

posted on 6/2/08 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
In our case, we had put a substantial tapped plate INSIDE the cross brace tube. This was not good enough for Mr SVA man as he couldn't see exactly how the bolts were secured. He made the point that for all he knew we might just have tapped the cross tube. Which I suppose was fair comment.

He insisted that we drill through from front to back and insert tubes tapped along their full length and completely welded around their circumferance front and rear.

He also was not happy with the rear diagonal braces for the main roll over hoop. These were secured by four bolts through a plate that was STITCH welded to the chassis with one inch welds. There was probably 8 to 10 welds (equals a strength of about 8 - 10 tons) which is considerably more weld than the circumferance of weld that now holds the threaded tube into the cross tube!

He insisted that these plates were welded to the chassis along there complete length.

Interestingly, he never once looked to see how the main roll over bar was attached to the chassis. The mounting platform and bolts are covered by upholstery and foam, so for all he knew they could have been secured with chewing gum!

The bottom line is, to read the SVA manual carefully and photograph any "hidden" strength that you might be building into your design.

Drew

kb58

posted on 7/2/08 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Also check the belt manufacturer's website, they'll certainly know how to do it right.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 7/2/08 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Can't you wrap the harness around the roll bar brace? This is how a large proportion of race and rally cars do it and it's got to be a far better engineering principle! I passed SVA a few years ago like that with my Fury.

That's also how my Aeon passed - much better than having projections at head level.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cjtheman

posted on 7/2/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
here is my roll bar so far
any comments welcome
cheers colin Rescued attachment roll bar.JPG
Rescued attachment roll bar.JPG

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

cjtheman

posted on 7/2/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
sorry forgot to resize Rescued attachment roll bar 01.JPG
Rescued attachment roll bar 01.JPG

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.