Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: edis timing
COREdevelopments

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
edis timing

hey all, i have been checking the timing on my engine with the megajolt dis-connected, and to my suprise its out! it should be at 10deg but when i put the timing light on at 10deg the pulley shows 5deg. and when i set the light to 0deg it reads 10deg on the pulley.
so whats the best way to sort it out?
adjust the bracket or is there a way to fool the megajolt by entering different figures?
any help is appreciated.
thanks

rob

paulf

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds as if you have the trigger wheel missing tooth out of position , can you move the wheel around in the direction of rotation?.If not you could change the bracket or just add 5 degrees to the ignition map, it wont cause a problem as long as you know of the discrepancy and adjust any maps you load up.
Paul.

COREdevelopments

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
its a snap on timing light, cant move the trigger wheel, the bracket can be adjusted with a bit of work, has anyone had any trouble with a snap on timing light?
thanks

rob

paulf

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds possible ive also heard of the same problem thinking about it.
Double check the wheel position with the engine at tdc to confirm that the missing tooth is at 90deg.Theres some good info on the wheel set up on the megajolt site.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by robocog
I would say that it is possibly right and your strobe is getting confused due to it being a new fangled jobbie and wasted spark
Have heard of this before on the megajolt site

I use a basic cheapo one (just flashes when there is a spark type, no dials or readouts)

Dunno if just setting it to zero (when it seems to read correctly)it is dissabling the electric brains in there
and when set to 10 degrees its showing 5 cos of it getting the 2 sparks?

Regards
Rob

COREdevelopments

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
il go out and have a check, the car runs fine when started idles smoothly, and when i connect the megajolt it runs even smoother and revs good.
cheers guys

rob

matt_claydon

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COREdevelopments
when i set the light to 0deg it reads 10deg on the pulley.
so whats the best way to sort it out?

Nothing to sort out, that's exactly what it should do!

As above, adjustable timing lights and wasted spark systems do not tend to mix.

lsdweb

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Rob

If you want to borrow a 'normal' (read cheap!) timing light you're more than welcome to borrow mine (and we can do the deal on that fan that I keep forgetting about!)

Regards

Wyn

COREdevelopments

posted on 7/4/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
thanks robocog Rob! so i got it right first time!! now theres a first!! hope its ok. hey wyn thanks for the offer, may just buy a cheapy one as the snap-on one is not mine. next thing to do is map it once i sorted the expansion bottle out.

thanks for the help guys

rob

chriscook

posted on 7/4/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just half the advance the timing light is telling you if it too old to understand wasted spark ignition.
DarrenW

posted on 8/4/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Its been a while since i set mine up but from memory my snap on light (digi display model - quite old) read double. I basically increased the advance display until the timing marks on pulley lined up then halved what was on the display - ie you want the display to show 20 with the VR disconnected.

Im pretty sure with the light set at zero, if the pulleys show 10deg then this will be correct. Try increasing the advance till the marks line up to TDC.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.