Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange windscreen type Q
speedyxjs

posted on 19/5/08 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Strange windscreen type Q

I have LOADS of steel tubing left over from my chassis and was wondering if there was any way i could use this to make a windscreen frame.
I can make the frame easy enough but im not sure how the screen would fit in securely.
As ever, pic would help due to me working early on a monday morning
PS Sorry i dont want an aeroscreen

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

indykid

posted on 19/5/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
it's normally made from u shaped channel so the glass sits in rubber in the u.

seems like an awful lot of unnecessary work to make it out of rhs to me, and the finished article will look far too cumbersome on a 7.

imho
tom

BenB

posted on 19/5/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
You could do but it'll end up being rather heavy and you'ld have to try and bend the tubing to make the corners. And then it'd need spraying or painting.

IE

as the NSA say "everything possible, it's just the impossible takes longer"

If you're keen to go down the DIY route then get the ali channel and bend up your own screen. You can get the rubber channel that sits inside the ali channel and accepts the glass sheet.

But doing it from steel IMHO is a bit like saying

"I just happen to have the remains of a Challenger tank here, I think I'll build a Se7en..." You could do it but it'll take ages and afterwards you'll wonder why you didn't just take the normal (easy) route.

The only advantage I can see to a steel windscreen is that if it was sufficiently strong it could help protect in case of roll-overs and you wouldn't have to scream at people when they offer to help move your car and decide to do so by pressing on the windscreen.....

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
As above, even with beautiful craftsmanship, it will still look like something off a tractor.

The screen is to much a visual item on a 7 to cut corners on.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b184

posted on 19/5/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Make your frame out of tube then make a frant out of flat on edge to weld in the inner edge of the tube, you can then bond the screen in?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.