Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Castle Combe noise limit
wheezy

posted on 30/5/08 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Castle Combe noise limit

Has anyone been on a track day at Castle Combe recently. The reason I ask is that I sent an e-mail to the circuit regarding the 100db limit for car track days. The limit for bike track days is 105db so I wanted to know if a BEC should also be tested at 105db. There reply was that the limit for cars fitted with bike engines should be 105db and not 100.
The 2 days I did there last year were both tested at 100db and no mention was made of the 105 bike limit. Has anyone else managed to get away with 105?

Dave

bimbleuk

posted on 30/5/08 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I believe like a lot of tracks they have to apply for a certain number of days at different sound levels from the local authority. So on a car day I would expect to be limited to 100dB regardless as thats what they applied for though I don't know that for certain. They are always under pressure though from residents in a nearby village unfortunately.

The last time I got my Striker (CEC) tested there they used 100dB at 4000RPM as the limit not a percentage of the engine RPM.

mad-butcher

posted on 30/5/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
That's what happened at donnington the other year, unknown to any-one booking the show organizers had booked what is called a quiet day which is about 5 db lower and cheaper,but no-one told the people who had booked, a lot failed untill I think it was some-one off here refused to move... bit rich really when you consider the f*** ing big aircraft flying overhead
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 30/5/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
A BEC will be able to stay at higher revs for longer periods of time on a trackday than a bike will...

Also they don't have as much induction noise.

Steve

Jubal

posted on 30/5/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
A BEC will be able to stay at higher revs for longer periods of time on a trackday than a bike will...

Also they don't have as much induction noise.

Steve

Stop being so sensible. It's true, but is somewhat negated by the fact that on a bike day there will be twice as many on track at once.

We're all going to have to deal with the noise of our cars moving forward. At a trackday last year a Caterham Duratec on TBs with a sausage filter was easily the loudest car there so it's not just BECs that will be forced to rethink.

Minicooper

posted on 30/5/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wheezy
Has anyone been on a track day at Castle Combe recently. The reason I ask is that I sent an e-mail to the circuit regarding the 100db limit for car track days. The limit for bike track days is 105db so I wanted to know if a BEC should also be tested at 105db. There reply was that the limit for cars fitted with bike engines should be 105db and not 100.
The 2 days I did there last year were both tested at 100db and no mention was made of the 105 bike limit. Has anyone else managed to get away with 105?

Dave

Yes, on the mini track day, a normal mini was 100db when we told the noise tester this mini had a bike engine in he tested at 105db

Cheers
David

wheezy

posted on 30/5/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that mate. I havent tested the new big silencer yet hopefully i'll get under 105db. 100db may be borderline
Ill mention it to the sound police when I go up there at the end of June.

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.