Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Launching a BEC
charlierevell

posted on 7/6/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Launching a BEC

Well.... Did my first 1/8th of a mile today. Was only really going to watch but as there were only about 20 cars i thought I'd chuck in my £20 for as many runs as possible!

In the first 3 runs (Never drag raced or really launched my IndyBlade) got down to 8.6 - Fastest time of the day when i left was 8.1 by a Spire with ZX-12.

Couldnt get any better the more i tried, it was very warm and I kept loosing grip off the line.

I've got no LSD and 12000 revs to use, whats the best way to get a light weight (450kgs ish) 7 Off the line quickely??

Any tips GREATLY appreciated!!

I could catch most things down the strip, scoobys, evos etc etc but i just couldnt beat them as I couldnt get off the line that quick! (Yes i know the are 4*4 but im sure i can be quicker!)

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

worX

posted on 8/6/08 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
If it was warm and you were losing grip off the line then you were using too many Revs when you started or were maybe being far too violent with the clutch?

Steve

Paul (Notts)

posted on 8/6/08 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have just changed my open diff to an lsd and it FEELS like I can get the power down much better from a standing start.

Paul

charlierevell

posted on 8/6/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Well I think you might have something there Worx... I dont like slipping the clutch in the indy that much as its a bike jobber but maybe I should slip it a bit more!

BenB

posted on 8/6/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
There was discussion about this a few days on the BEC list.

Quite a few people said to give it 7-8k then sidestep the clutch, then feather it in a little bit and then feather it out to fully engage it...

But different people have different opinions...

Hellfire

posted on 8/6/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
We generally tend to drop the rear tyre pressures to about 10 psi when on the drag strip. Balance the car at about 6,000 rpm on the start line and feather the power in/out whilst trying to stop the rears spinning up.

Phil

charlierevell

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Didnt think of droping the pressures as i didnt have a pump to get them back up for the way home.
I think clutch control could be key to getting it quicker over the first 60ft.

Its on a disused runway by the way.... so concrete with grass on it.
Not a proper drag strip.

wheezy

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
You just need to fit a ZX12R mate

By the way the fastest time on Sunday was 7.3 from what I believe was a Scooby with a few electronic gizmos.

Dave

charlierevell

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Was that not on the sunday? Dazza or something like that???

He has 4wd and thats cheating!

ZX-12 is an options (or14)
I just need to launch better!

A quick skyline lost a good 1 - 2 car lengths on me when you'd left! You forget how quick these things are!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is how its done,this is Mark aka "carnut" on here,at York dragway,Ive never seen a bec launched as good,I have seen him run a 11.7 with a blackbird on nos,with slicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkeJkSO8CY

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
But this is how not to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF7Aq9zH7Bg

eccsmk

posted on 9/6/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
now that was quick (first vid)
whoops (second vid )

wheezy

posted on 10/6/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ive posted a video of a couple of runs from last saturdays drag strip event. Unfortunatly the camera wasnt on for my fastest run of the day.

Dakota drag video

The first run I had lots of wheel spin of the line. On the second the take off was much better using far less revs.

phoenix70

posted on 10/6/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charlierevell
I could catch most things down the strip, scoobys, evos etc etc but i just couldnt beat them as I couldnt get off the line that quick! (Yes i know the are 4*4 but im sure i can be quicker!)

You will be hard pressed to beat a AWD car down the track, they can put the power down so much more efficiently than a RWD car. To get a good launch, you need to get the balance between traction and wheelspin, as hellfire said you need to modulate the throttle to kill some of the wheelspin, but you've also got to avoid the engine bogging down, so it is a difficult balancing act, but practice makes perfect. Dropping the tyre pressure will also help with traction, also the type of tyres makes a big difference (a nice set of street legal slicks.) A LSD would also help get better grip off the line

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.