Board logo

Failed IVA
stuleah - 24/8/10 at 05:33 PM

Failed yesterday, It was a good fail though.
13 items all together but most of them are edges and nut covers and sleeves.
The worst ones were handbrake needs adjusting, steering wheel is not soft enougfh (even though its straight out of a mondeo with the airbag removed) and the std mondeo brake caliper has a small square on it that isnt radiused.
Already sorted most of it and should have the rest done tomorrow.

russbost - 24/8/10 at 05:38 PM

Surely they can't fail a Mondeo steering wheel - it's type approved ????
Well done with the rest if it tho'

gavin174 - 24/8/10 at 06:01 PM

does it not loose its type approval once the air bag is removed..

how did you fill the hole left by the airbag

A1 - 24/8/10 at 08:05 PM

whats that about the brake caliper?

stuleah - 24/8/10 at 08:14 PM

i took the airbag out of the steering wheel and put the cover back on and trimmed it so there is no longer an airbag logo, it failed because the cover part basically isnt soft enough so i need to trim it with some high density foam but no to hard.

Th disc caliper has a square bit stuck out of the back of it, part of the cast. It doesnt meet the 2.5 radiuis criteria.

stuleah - 24/8/10 at 08:26 PM

Also forgot failed on side repeaters. What is with side repeaters at the minute?

Dangle_kt - 24/8/10 at 08:56 PM

i guess in any accident where you might strike the wheel, the airbag would have deployed, which it can't now so on second glance it actually makes sense.

Work through them and get it done, you might just be ready for the famous "indian summer" we keep being promised!

stuleah - 24/8/10 at 09:19 PM

They have been promising one of them for the past few years but all we seem to get is rain. Hope they are right this year.

What he said about the wheel is that if you are parked up with no seat belt on and a car hit you from behind then the steering wheel needs to be padded enough not to do any damage.
I am a fire fighter and i have been to a lot of accidents where the airbags havnt gone off so in theory the steering wheel should be safe in both circumstances and therefore should be ok on any kit.
I am not going to argue the point with them as i didnt fail on much and dont want to stirr up a hornets nest of problems.

adithorp - 25/8/10 at 06:56 AM

Hard luck! Soon have it sorted now you've got a definetive list of jobs to do.

quote:
Originally posted by stuleah
Also forgot failed on side repeaters. What is with side repeaters at the minute?

...People don't read/understand the reg's and put them in a place were they won't pass...

adrian

stuleah - 25/8/10 at 05:37 PM

Yes thats it, i thought you could see mine ok but obviously i was wrong.
What i cant get my head round is that he stood behind the car and out by aprox 5 degrees he then crouched down and couldnt see the side repeater.
My thought at that point is if you want to know which way i am indicating try looking at the rear indicator that is right in front of your eyes.

Anyway thats my little rant, sorted everything on the list and i am now waiting for the retest date.

Valtra - 29/8/10 at 02:45 PM

good luck

Nearly there , any orders yet?