Board logo

CATS and IVA.
Jenko - 7/9/12 at 07:11 AM

Apologies, I'm sure it's been asked many times before.....Do you have to have a CAT for IVA or can you map a car around it?.

Not started a build yet, but will be soon (hopfully if I sell my Westfield).

deezee - 7/9/12 at 07:25 AM

Depends on the age of the engine. If you have a post '94 engine, they normally struggle to meet the stricter emissions. BUT to answer your question, the engine needs to meet emissions for the IVA. Whether you do that through mapping or through a CAT is up to you.

40inches - 7/9/12 at 07:26 AM

As far as I know, you have to pass at the emissions set for the year of manufacture of the engine, as long as you meet these it doesn't
matter if you have a cat or not.

Must type faster

[Edited on 7-9-12 by 40inches]

russbost - 7/9/12 at 08:07 AM

If the engine has to meet the later emission regs ie post '94 (IIRC) engine then you will never get it to meet the requirements without a CAT. It's perfectly possible to get the engine to meet the CO & HC requirements, but to do so it would have to run lean in which case there is no way it would meet the lambda requirement.

Jenko - 7/9/12 at 08:22 AM

Thanks for the replies.....P

i_froloshki - 11/10/12 at 01:56 PM

Hi,

One question for the emissions. I have a 95 silver top zetec. Is it possible to make the emissions equivalent to Euro 4? Lets say i can put 2 catalytic converters one after another, i have lambda as well... is it possible, anyone done it before?
I am in Bulgaria and it seems that the law at the moment is that is the chassis is not registered the car has to be registered as NEW and for that reason to cover Euro 4 emission test. They are working on some changes (covering the requirement for the age of the engine) but who knows when it is going to be ready.

Thanks

Regards

Yavor