Board logo

IVA test question - steering
killerferret666 - 20/7/14 at 10:49 AM

How do they test that the steering can be turned in both directions as designed and not fowl on anything unless designed to be a steerin bump stop as such..

Reason I ask is, when the car is sat on the wheels as its designed it does not fowl at all, however when jacked up the wheels tyre can catch part of the chassis by a mm or two.

So I wondered do they test with the front of the car in the air or test by turning the wheel with the wheels on the ground.

renetom - 20/7/14 at 11:29 AM

Hi
Did ours on the ground.
Good luck
René

zx12r dug - 20/7/14 at 12:21 PM

Hi.My four previous builds were tested on the ground

snapper - 20/7/14 at 01:57 PM

They use turn plates so beware
Perhaps a couple of jubilee clips in side the steering haters could help

killerferret666 - 20/7/14 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
They use turn plates so beware
Perhaps a couple of jubilee clips in side the steering haters could help

Sounds like good news if on the ground or potentially plates, the key is the cars weight is on the suspension so the coilovers compress and hence bring the wheels higher into the arch.

Could you explain to me the jubilee clips inside the steering haters, being honest that doesn't mean much to me. Thanks

davidimurray - 20/7/14 at 02:40 PM

Mine was done in the air, but up on the drive on lift so weight was on suspension.

skov - 20/7/14 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by killerferret666

Could you explain to me the jubilee clips inside the steering haters, being honest that doesn't mean much to me. Thanks

Think he meant jubilee clips inside the steering gaiters
Basically, pull the gaiters back to reveal the ends of the steering rack. Fit jubilee clips to the end of the rack to act as lock-stops. Re-fit gaiters and hope IVA man doesn't realise what you've done

I personally wouldn't recommend it. I tried, but the jubilee clips failed before I'd even booked the IVA. They don't handle much in the way of sideways bashings.

[Edited on 20/7/14 by skov]