Board logo

Circular saw blade for cutting Aluminium
Paul_Arion - 1/5/17 at 12:47 PM

Hi all

Can anyone recommend the best sort of blade for cutting 1.6mm aluminium sheet. Need one for my circular saw (165mm with 20mm bore)

Thanks
Paul

GeoffT - 1/5/17 at 01:42 PM

165mm Professional Silver PMC Metal Cutting Circular Saw Blades 40TCT Teeth on ebay - never tried one though, so don't know how durable they are.

Paul_Arion - 1/5/17 at 02:52 PM

Perfect thanks - I've ordered one of those 🙂

Paul_Arion - 1/5/17 at 02:52 PM

Double posted sorry

[Edited on 1/5/17 by Paul_Arion]

chillis - 1/5/17 at 04:37 PM

you do realise that blade is for a cut off saw not a circular wood type saw.
You will need something much finer if you are to attaempt cutting ally sheet with a hand held circular saw, and the local hospital on speed dial.

rusty nuts - 1/5/17 at 06:14 PM

Fine metal cutting blade in a jigsaw using plenty of cutting fluid,if it's an awkward shape then debut the edges . Or cut it using a pair of tinsnips.

nick205 - 2/5/17 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Fine metal cutting blade in a jigsaw using plenty of cutting fluid,if it's an awkward shape then debut the edges . Or cut it using a pair of tinsnips.

I'd opt for an Aluminium cutting blade in my jigsaw. Slower maybe than a circular saw, but safer too IMHO.

Myke 2463 - 2/5/17 at 11:21 AM

Personally would NEVER use this blade on sheet alloy . from supplier " Designed and produced to achieve fast and clean cuts in various metal sections."

Metal sections are normally extruded box, angle or tube.

I agree with Chillis.................. you do realise that blade is for a cut off saw not a circular wood type saw.
You will need something much finer if you are to attempt cutting ally sheet with a hand held circular saw, and the local hospital on speed dial.

Paul_Arion - 2/5/17 at 12:27 PM

I've found a specific fine blade designed for aluminium / plastics now so ordered one of those. It's only for 1.6mm Ali sheet but some long straight cuts ( fully flat floor on my car ) so am sure it'll be fine. Thanks for the replies all

Angel Acevedo - 2/5/17 at 04:43 PM

I used a craftsman 10" Table saw, the home duty one, I couldnīt find one like mine on the online catalog, so I think itīs no longer available.
I cut up to 3 mm thick ali plate with no problems.
Carbide toothed disc. Only drawback, the saw shoots an incredible amount of swarf....
and you need to dress the cuts.
YMMV...