Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need help, college assignment - EFI
speedyxjs

posted on 28/11/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Need help, college assignment - EFI

This is my first assignment and i normally struggle with these things.
Iv done alright so far but im struggling to describe a manifold vacuum and find out how to test a fuel injector.
Can anyone help or provide a link? I have tried wikepedia but dont quite understand the description.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 28/11/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
you got one assignment or 3?

think of engine piston being like a pump.

If you have played with a bicycle pump or a syringe, you know that as you pull the plunger down it sucks air. If air is not able to be sucked by the plunger then a vacuum is created.

This can be done by closing or making the hole smaller or pulling the plunger very quickly.

In an engine the plunger = piston and is moving quite quickly and the choke (disc thing in the carb or throttle body) restricts air hence you get vacuum as the engine is trying very hard to suck air in but can't

Testing injector - these need to be connected to power supply and then the spray jet examined - it needs to be a fine fna shape - you need to google for the photos as they are out there - I have seen them.

If you are testing them yourself, be careful as the high pressue spray can pierce your skin - injecting yourself with petrol or diesel is not recommended.

speedyxjs

posted on 28/11/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers 02GF74. Thats just what i was after. Its 3 btw

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

rodders

posted on 28/11/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I used these books a lot when I was in college and uni.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Engine-Technology-Heinz-Heisler/dp/0340691867

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Engine-Technology-Heinz-Heisler/dp/0340568224/ref=pd_sim_b_3

The first one is good as a general book that covers almost everything that you need to know that will come up in college apart from the cutting edge stuff. The second fairly advanced but it still might be of some use to you.

As long as the assignment isn't due in soon I would advise getting a copy of the first one. Nearly everyone on my course had this book. Hope this info helps.

Rhod

BenB

posted on 28/11/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
ANSU injector testing is the usual procedure.
Basically it's as described, you hook up the injectors to the test rig (which includes a regulated supply of test fuel) and fire the injectors. The firing requirement will depend if they're high or low impedance injectors. The recent copy of PPC came with a nice description of a home injector test kit but it only gives flow rate (cc/min) not spray pattern (the injector driver was just a simple digital on/off switch and high impendance injectors need a high inital current followed by a lower "hold" current.

trextr7monkey

posted on 28/11/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a brilliant book - Modern Car Technology by Jeff Daniels very well written [not patronising!] and gives clear explanations and over views of modern car stuff, as we are still living inthe 1970s with regard to car engineering and maintenance it was a real eye opener.

very readable - buy it or blag it!
published by Haynes so you can use your discount card at Halfrauds and get cash off
ISBN 1 85960 811 6

Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

austin man

posted on 28/11/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
In the latest version of one of the car magazines practical performance Ithink,they have built a test bed which explains in laymans terms how you test an injector flow rate etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.