Author: Subject: laptop to tv?
chrisg

posted on 20/1/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
laptop to tv?

Can I connect my laptop to my tv?

What cable would I need?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

nick205

posted on 20/1/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you have an LCD/Plasma telly then it should have a monitor in connector. So you need a decent length standard monitor cable to go from the laptop to the TV.

Try this from PC World

A bit pricey mind, I picked one up from Wilkinson IIRC for about £10 and it works fine.

[Edited on 20/1/09 by nick205]

mcerd1

posted on 20/1/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
what have you got on the laptop / tv ?

(or which makes / models have you got? )

rodders

posted on 20/1/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have done this recently with my computer. If you have and LCD TV, like Nick said, get a standard VGA, DVI or HDMI/DVI cable dependant on what input/output you have. Its is also worth getting one of these or similar

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141739

The TV should have an audio in at the back, if its LCD or plasma, it might take some configuration on the TV to get the sound working but its worth it. I found it annoying when looking at the TV to have the sound coming from a different direction than usual.

Regards

Rhod

RK

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I tried this too, but my TV kept saying it didn't recognise the computer. Couldn't set it any differently. Samsung TV from Laptop. So any ideas on what needs to be done?
iank

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you have an old telly but a business laptop some have TV out built in. My work one has an S-video connector which will go straight into a scart socket with a suitable cable.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

The Great Fandango

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
You've not been very specific about your laptop or the video output sockets it is equipped with but here's a general overview...

15pin VGA output:
Most common of all secondary laptop outputs. Gives good quality picture using a bog standard 'VGA' lead. A laptop's output resolution is usually limited to something like 1024x768 when using this option (which isn't too bad at all). Most modern TVs have a VGA intput.

18pin (single link) or 24pin (dual link) DVI output:
I've only ever seen this on a couple of laptops - this is the most common output for normal desktop PCs now. A few televisions do have DVI inputs or you can use an adapter to convert DVI to VGA (i've never understood that - digital to analogue using a cheap adapter?!?)

7pin or 4pin 'S-Video':
A small circular socket. The video quality isn't so good through s-video but again, if your TV has a dedicated s-video socket then the cables are quite cheap (just be careful that you get the correct number of pins on the plug or an adapter)

HDMI:
If your laptop is less than 6 months old, and more than £350ish the chances are it has an HDMI socket. If it does, you're laughing!!! You can enjoy full 1080p output directly to a TV or projector via a normal HDMI cable. Do not be fooled into spending excessive amounts of money on HDMI cables! eBay is a good source of HDMI cables. I've just bought a perfectly good 4 metre v1.3a compliant cable for £17.

Audio:
As mentioned, the audio has to get to the TV if you want to make use of the TV's speakers. So you'll have to use a 3.5mm earphone plug to (L)+(R) phono cable. Th only cable capable of carrying audio is the HDMI, but then you have to trigger the laptop to send the audio via the HSMI rather than through the laptops speakers

Switching to 'Presentation Mode':
No matter which method you choose, you usually have to trigger the laptop to output through the additional socket in addition to (clone) or instead of its own screen. Making this change varies from laptop to laptop and what output you're using. For example most Dell laptops use the keyboard shortcut of 'Function' plus 'F8' to toggle presentation mode. Others require that you go into the display properties.

Hope this helps?

PS: I've recently plugged my new Dell XPS laptop into the my new high definition Optoma projector (mounted to the ceiling with all wires hidden behind the plasterwork)... The picture is phenomenal (but the text is tiny on internet explorer!)

[Edited on 20/1/09 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

rodders

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi RK, have you changed the settings on you laptop. You have to tell the laptop to clone you desktop screen onto your TV or to make the TV an extension of the desktop. I think its in monitor options in the control panel.

I haven't used windows for a few years now but someone else might be able to be more specific, it might be worth googling the problem. Hope it helps.

Regards

Rhod

chrisg

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's a new Phillps LCD 42"

The laptop is about 9 months old - HP Pavillion entertainment PC.

I've got what looks like a svideo output and a monitor output.

I've got all the cables I can find out, I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the help guys

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Another thing to check (caught me out) is to ensure you have pressed the correct button on your latop, i can switch between - tv only, tv and laptop, laptop only using the blue 'fn' button(next to windows key?)+f3 i think it is.

[Edited on 20/1/09 by iscmatt]

stevebubs

posted on 20/1/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
It's a new Phillps LCD 42"

The laptop is about 9 months old - HP Pavillion entertainment PC.

I've got what looks like a svideo output and a monitor output.

I've got all the cables I can find out, I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the help guys

Chris

You should be able to use either of these ports.

As mentioned previously, you'll have to tell the laptop to enable the monitor/tv output (either through a hotkey combination or through the control panel)

Don't forget you'll need to pipe the sound through somehow... either 3.5mm jack at both ends, or 3.5mm jack at one end and a pair of phonos at the other.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.