Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3-D films
focijohn

posted on 21/1/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
3-D films

Just a quick one. Is it the way its filmed or how its projected? Thinking about going to see My Bloody Valentine 3-D and i was wondering if it came out on DVD if i could buy some funky glasses and chill out on the sofa at home?

Cheers

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

rodders

posted on 21/1/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not 100% sure but don't think it will work on a standard TV at the moment. I saw something about in click on the BBC iplayer a few weeks ago. There are a few companies working on a way to get it working on standard TV's but I think you need more boxes to make it work. I could be wrong tho.

Regards

Rhod

Edit: found these might be worth a look

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/3324433/3D-television-%27a-reality-within-five-years%27.html

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/08/ces_panasonic_3d_tv/

[Edited on 21/1/09 by rodders]

geoff shep

posted on 21/1/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
The filming is done with 2 cameras (or 2 lenses) side-by-side replicating your side-by-side eyes. Each has a slightly different view and your brain makes it into 3D. The trick is then to have some way of only allowing each eye to see the appropriate image.

With the old B&W ones, it is played as combined red and cyan images, and the coloured lenses each filter out the other coloured image. You need red and cyan glasses and it will work on TV.

Better colour films have the 2 images differently polarised and each glasses lens is a polarised filter. This won't work on TV.

With electrical displays like TV an alternative is to use alternating glasses and picture so eg one eye sees one picture then the other eye sees the other one. Or you can wear electronic goggle things with a separate screen for each eye.

focijohn

posted on 21/1/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
The filming is done with 2 cameras (or 2 lenses) side-by-side replicating your side-by-side eyes.

That would explane why there are 2 blured images (of any one object) on screen when you take your glasses off... always wondered how it works.

Thanks guys

[Edited on 21/1/09 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

martyn_16v

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
There is a method of filming/displaying 3D on a normal telly to be viewed with the red/green glasses, but it doesn't produce amazing results (not much depth to it). It involves moving objects across the screen left to right or vice versa. Dr Who did a special years ago using the technique, lots of panning shots and weird camera angles to try and force some 3D into every scene.

3D will be the next big thing in TV's, most of the major manufacturers have something in the pipeline already. I think a few of them have been looking at lenticular screens.

geoff shep

posted on 22/1/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
It doesn't need moving objects. It just needs the 2 images. They like to overdo it though to emphasize the effect. There are plenty of examples on youtube.

You need to get or make up some glasses with red cellophane in front of the left eye and cyan for the right eye. Used to be able to do it with Quality Street wrappers!

Youtube1

Youtube2

[Edited on 22/1/09 by geoff shep]

martyn_16v

posted on 22/1/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The moving objects technique doesn't show two slightly different images with a red/green cast, so you can view it without glasses on without it looking like an LSD flashback. It's different from the stereoscopic techniques most people are familiar with.

martyn_16v

posted on 22/1/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Aha! Found it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.