Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dead battery showing 5v - recoverable?
Dangle_kt

posted on 5/11/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Dead battery showing 5v - recoverable?

Hi,

Wondering if any of you guys know if a 12v battery reading 5v will charge or not.

Track day tomorrow, just went to start it up, and its dead. Got it on charge, but if I dont run soon I won't make it to halfords before it shuts - so....

will it charge or should i buy one?

Thanks

fullpint

posted on 5/11/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
If I were you I would try in now just to see if its started to charge. If not go get a spare. Not worth turning up for a track day only for the battery to fail...
Keep the receipt and if yours is ok just pop the new one back to halfords for a refund

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 5/11/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt it Ill be off to halfords
Dangle_kt

posted on 5/11/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fullpint

Keep the receipt and if yours is ok just pop the new one back to halfords for a refund

Now that is a cracking idea!

At £55 I don't fancy buying one when I don't really need it!

fullpint

posted on 5/11/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Simple really. They can't say no if you don't use it Its a win win situation..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vanepico

posted on 5/11/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I fly RC planes and we are told if you take the Lithium polymer batteries below a certain level they are fubar'd. What you can do is fool the charger into charging it anyway to maybe 50%, by setting it to nicad/nimh, then at that point you switch the charger back to li-po cells and charge the rest. It worked for me once.

(They say this normally only works if it was a slow discharge)

Maybe this technique will work with car batteries but to be honest I'd rather spend a bit of money than be stuck at the side of a road, maybe keep a battery in the car as a spare if you try it.

Have a nice day,
Pete

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/11/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
It worked great! And I now have a receipt and £55 heading back to the orange place.

Thanks

PSpirine

posted on 7/11/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've recovered batteries that were at 0v for weeks, and they eventually worked absolutely fine and lasted years after that.

Equally I've had batteries that drained to 6v for about a day and then could not be saved - it all depends on the state of the internals.

I'd just put it on charge for a few days with an automatic charger (which will trickle/cut-off when charged), then drive around for a while, put it on charge again. Then use as normal and monitor for a week or so - it'll be quickly obvious if it's not performing well (in which case it's probably dead permanently).

Halfords return policy is always full of win

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.