Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe - broken gear tooth
bodger

posted on 5/12/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Lathe - broken gear tooth

I've got the chance of a Colchester Bantam lathe for £500. It's an ex school one so hasn't seen a lot of use. Only trouble is it's got a tooth out of one of the gears at the back of the headstock, though it does seem to mesh ok. I think it's used to drive the longitudinal feed screw. How easy/costly would it be to get a new gear or should I walk away?
renetom

posted on 5/12/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
lathe

Hi
Seems a lot of money for a broken lathe
I would shop around
Eg:

colchester lathe

Good luck
René

Talon Motorsport

posted on 5/12/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same thing I brought a Colchester student with broken screw drive it was missing 3 teeth for £275. Weld the hole up and file the tooth back in with needle files.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bodger

posted on 5/12/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I've been watching ebay for a year or so now & decent lathes around my area don't come up very often & the ones that do seem to go for silly money compared to what some people on here have paid. At least in the south, they . That ones in Chester which is a fair old distance = money to get it to me here down souf. This one's local & costing nothing for the transport. Apart from the gear it's not in too bad a condition. I might try the machine tools guy in Burgess Hill on Friday & see what he thinks. I suppose if I'm honest, I've always fancied one but apart from a few bushes I can't think how much use it'll get so I'm wavering a bit. Though people do say that when you've got one you find lots of little jobs you can do.
trikerneil

posted on 5/12/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had this problem years ago.
Drill holes and insert steel pins where the tooth was. Fill the rest of the gap with braze and file back to a tooth shape.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris-g

posted on 5/12/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Keep an eye out or post a wanted ad on http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk its free.
HowardB

posted on 5/12/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
once you own a lathe, the only thing that you ever really wish is that you'd bought a bigger one!!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

vanepico

posted on 5/12/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I bet it's because they've used the feed screw and let it hit the chuck or something, sounds like something a student might do accidently. I was always worried about doing that on the college machines.

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Dualist

posted on 5/12/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
See if you can get the serial number off it (end of the bed) and phone Colchester for a list of prices for gears on that shaft. They aren't as expensive as you may think

Rotary build coming soon...

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I recently discovered that pigs can p i s s sideways when being transported

bodger

posted on 5/12/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
I bet it's because they've used the feed screw and let it hit the chuck or something, sounds like something a student might do accidently. I was always worried about doing that on the college machines.

There's a chunk missing out of the side of the 4 jaw so I think that's exactly what happened.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/12/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
2nd hand bantam parts are readily available. If not, if its a standard DP gear with a 14 or 20 deg pressure angle it will probably be available off the shelf from HPC Gears there is also Tony Griffiths at http://lathes.co.uk/, he stocks some stuff. Plus there are a load of parts clearing places that carry this stuff.

When I repaired/rebuilt/remanufactured the gearbox on my pre ww2 lathe this guy linky cut me some special gears for not very much at all.
I think I had the blanks machined and i sent them to him. Even if you had to have the part remade I wouldn't expect it to cost more than about £30-£40.

I can help if needed, I've done exactly as you have. Feel free to U2U

[Edited on 5/12/12 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Confused but excited.

posted on 5/12/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dualist
See if you can get the serial number off it (end of the bed) and phone Colchester for a list of prices for gears on that shaft. They aren't as expensive as you may think

Ya think?
I got offered a Colchester Student for £100, some years ago because the tailstock was missing. Though I had struck gold until they quoted me £675 for the bare machined casting, no sleeve etc.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

bodger

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
2nd hand bantam parts are readily available. If not, if its a standard DP gear with a 14 or 20 deg pressure angle it will probably be available off the shelf from HPC Gears there is also Tony Griffiths at http://lathes.co.uk/, he stocks some stuff. Plus there are a load of parts clearing places that carry this stuff.

When I repaired/rebuilt/remanufactured the gearbox on my pre ww2 lathe this guy linky cut me some special gears for not very much at all.
I think I had the blanks machined and i sent them to him. Even if you had to have the part remade I wouldn't expect it to cost more than about £30-£40.

I can help if needed, I've done exactly as you have. Feel free to U2U

[Edited on 5/12/12 by liam.mccaffrey]

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to take a punt on the lathe so I might be in touch.

alfiebeard

posted on 5/12/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Colchester Bantam and its a brilliant little Lathe, as others have said the only thing you will want when you own a Lathe is a bigger one, the Bantam will swing a 10" disc but every time I need to skim a disc it turns out to be an 11" one.

Alfie

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.