Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti-Freeze
JamesyCottony

posted on 13/5/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Anti-Freeze

Hi there,

Looking for an anti-freeze for my 1984 metro 998cc and saw Halfords do a blue one that says it is IAT NOT OAT, so would this be ok for this classic engine? Im just checking because I read that RED OAT A/F kills classic engines.

Thank you

mcerd1

posted on 13/5/16 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
don't know about your engine - but this stuff is safe for just about anything:

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5686_fb_AntiFreezeCoolGard.htm#_Cool-Gard™_II_Concentrate

-

britishtrident

posted on 13/5/16 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Unless the coolant type has been changed it is the correct coolant.

And don't believe everything you read on the internet especially in one make forums,

[Edited on 13/5/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 13/5/16 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
IAT will simply coat everything in the cooling system with silicates, this coating rate increases as the inhibitors become exhausted.
Therefore, you need to change the stuff frequently (1-2 years) to keep it all clean. Some say that the particulates abrade water pump seals.... I've never experienced this. Thing is, the IAT blue stuff is what I use in all my engines, but then it is changed frequently - voluntarily or not. I could use OAT in the all-alloy bike engines, but I don't, I certainly can't use it in the old LR since the cooling system is rich in copper and brass. IAT is what I'd use in your fine automobile.

In my mind (warped with years of cynicism and mistrust), OAT is there for reasons of longevity, to save the dealers money and time. It sits in the cooling system until the car is well past it's lifetime expectancy (i.e. warranty period), after which no one cares, you've bought the new shiny appliance after that.

posted on 14/5/16 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Mr Mayhem.

I used Comma Super Coldmaster

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.