Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade sump baffle
rodders

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Blade sump baffle

Hi guys I’m thinking about making a sump baffle for the engine but I have a few questions about it. What would be the ideal material to use, ali or stainless? Any ideas what thickness? Will I have to put a bit more oil in it so compensate for the baffle being in there? Would it be worth putting a bend (I can’t think of the proper word) in the plate to channel the oil back down into the sump or will it be fine being flat? Also will i have to get longer sump bolts to hold the sump securely? Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Rod

watsonpj

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
try looking at ab performance (on ebay) they have a picture of a sump baffle on their site its only £30, and if you want to make it you can et the general idea. I'll try to put a link on

lab perf

cheers Pete

ReMan

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you need one?
I think the general concensus is you don't, unless its track use only.
Do a search here, it's been covered before.
Regardss
Col(no baffle and fingers crossed)

rodders

posted on 6/7/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I will hopefully be doing some track days and racing in the future when the car eventually gets finished. I’ve got the sump off at the moment so I’m thinking while it’s off I might as well do it. Cheers for the link but unfortunately funds are a bit tight at the moment so I will have to make it myself. I’ve looked at the past topics but I can’t find anything regarding the plate thickness. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rod

ReMan

posted on 7/7/06 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
If I was to make one, now you've seen th e template, i'd just ,make it out of the thinnest aluminium plate possible.
It doesnt need any strength as such and then you'd probably get away with using the original sump screws.
Remember you may want to use two gaskets, one each side and they ar'nt cheap either!

Hellfire

posted on 7/7/06 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodders
I will hopefully be doing some track days and racing in the future when the car eventually gets finished. I’ve got the sump off at the moment so I’m thinking while it’s off I might as well do it. Cheers for the link but unfortunately funds are a bit tight at the moment so I will have to make it myself. I’ve looked at the past topics but I can’t find anything regarding the plate thickness. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rod

If funds are tight, then don't bother fitting one at all. Blade engines don't need the sump baffled, even for track. If you still want one, don't make it out of aluminium cos it will eventually disintegrate

Phil

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/7/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
The thinnest ali isn't necessarily recommended.....

[img][/img]
This was after 3+ years use though, it won't happen overnight.

You don't want to use too thick either otherwise you'll space the sump from the pickup too much and could actually create oil pickup problems.

I'd buy one though if you can scrape £30 together, to make one as well fitting as a laser cut one is going to take a fair bit of chopping and filing, rather you than me.

Also bear in mind though that if you do fit one you'll need to buy two new sump gaskets, so that in itself will be £20 to Mr Honda unless you can get pattern gaskets on Ebay etc.

You'd probably get away without even on track but there's "track" driving and there's track driving IYSWIM, a lot depends on what kind of rubber you'll be on, how fast you'll be driving etc. If you ask any of the RGB racers they'll all tell you they use one, and some even say they've had surge even with a baffle fitted and have gone dry sump / Accusump, so for the sake of a few quid its not worth not fitting TBH for extra peace of mind, especially if you couldn't easily afford to replace the engine if it pops.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.