Board logo

ZX9 Manifold
TheHighlander123 - 21/10/16 at 09:04 AM

Hi All,

Just wondering where I will get a manifold for my ZX9 conversion.

I have a standard ZX9 manifold - Could this be modified?

I am getting my engine cradle back next week so will be trial fitting the engine then so I will have a better idea of what's needed.

I have a Link pipe and silencer sorted.

[Edited on 21/10/16 by TheHighlander123]

CosKev3 - 21/10/16 at 09:29 AM

Maybe possible to chop it up and use it,but how good it will look is debatable
The only bike manifolds I've seen used which were ok if you have the room is to just modify the lower part of manifold,then run the exhaust around the engine bay and have it exiting out of the drivers side of car,rather than the usual BEC pass side mounted exhaust.

Got a feeling you will need a custom manifold making up if you want the traditional BEC pass side exhaust system, as you are using a engine that Westfield never fitted.

TheHighlander123 - 21/10/16 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Maybe possible to chop it up and use it,but how good it will look is debatable
The only bike manifolds I've seen used which were ok if you have the room is to just modify the lower part of manifold,then run the exhaust around the engine bay and have it exiting out of the drivers side of car,rather than the usual BEC pass side mounted exhaust.

Got a feeling you will need a custom manifold making up if you want the traditional BEC pass side exhaust system, as you are using a engine that Westfield never fitted.

Kev you seem to have a hell of alot of knowledge this - I'll be firing you U2U's when stuck.

I was thinking about doing that routing it out the drivers side rather than the passenger as its the natural line for the manifold.

I have a few customers that are fabricators so they should be able to assist me but I suppose its the last thing I will be doing

CosKev3 - 21/10/16 at 09:40 AM

The issue is ground clearance with the standard manifold,do you know how much clearance you have now from sump to road?

As the manifold goes under the sump I've not seen a BEC that can run it under there due to lack of clearance.

If you do decide to modify it you need to cut it and get it to point forwards then run the exhaust towards the front of car,90 degree bend and run it across in front of engine,then you might be able to run it straight out of side panel,but probably won't have enough wheel clearance when front wheel is turned,so would need another bend to run it backwards a bit then out of side panel.

Pretty sure the user 40inches on here had a set up like above

mark chandler - 21/10/16 at 10:21 AM

Early fireblade manifold is very close to zx9, maybe look for a second hand one manifold that is similar and mod that, you will probally need to chop off the flanges from your standard manifold.

Using standard and butchering looks a bit of a mess, however getting the exhaust out the other side of the car could be a bonus with noise regulations drive by tends to be on the near side of cars as mostly clockwise circuits so pushing out on the offside helps.

CosKev3 - 21/10/16 at 10:29 AM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=Exhaust

He did run his under the sump!

Not sure what ground clearance he had though.

I've got 3 inches clearance to my sump guard and that grounds out quite a lot with two people in the car if you are pushing on

TheHighlander123 - 21/10/16 at 10:53 AM

I'm going to be running NO cat, just manifold to akrapovic carbon exhaust from a ZX9.

That's given me an idea.

Thanks for the link to that gallery.

Alot of helpful photos in it.

40inches - 21/10/16 at 11:33 AM

It touched twice in 3000miles I put a 3mm ally plate under the collector, and it had a few witness marks.
The front chassis height is 120mm at the front cross member and 140mm at the rear cross member in front of the diff.

TheHighlander123 - 21/10/16 at 12:56 PM

Once I have the engine mounted I will have a better idea.

Did you just modify the standard manifold?