Hi

Got an issue with my 1.7 crossflow

It has

Forged pistons

Uprated Cam

Baffled sump

Ported and polished with unleaded conversion

Twin 40s

Between 2500/2600rpm to about 2850/2900rpm it stutters and coughs then when you pass that the power comes in.

So if you drop from 5th to 4th its a pain if it lands between the above rpm as it stutters.

I'm planning getting it set up but been reading online and ordered a balancer (downloaded loads of guides) and fancy tackling it myself but wanted to ask on here about my issue incase it's something silly.

Also its terrible on fuel, now my Evo was bad on fuel but this seems worse with a very strong smell of fuel, don't get me wrong when you pass the stutter it goes very well but feels like its overfuelling

It looks to have new plugs/leads in it.

If it drys up today I will get a video of it.

joneh - 30/3/16 at 07:32 PM

Which fuel pump are you using? Assuming electric it sounds like the pressure is too high and its flooding the carbs at lower revs...

Norfolkluegojnr - 30/3/16 at 09:33 PM

Welcome Pics of the car please!

Has it been set up professionally at all? do you know what jets etc the carbs are running?

Presume there isnt a lambda sensor/gauge fitted?

Without either of the above it may be tricky to sort at home unless you're very good with carbs. I've tried and failed more than once with sidedrafts! Bike Carbs are a different matter....

TheHighlander123 - 31/3/16 at 06:37 AM

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

Yep its an electric fuel pump.
The chokes are disconnected aswell.

Apart from the flat spot it runs brilliant, I'm not sure what jets its running how would I check?

Here she is

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/saxoboy18/_57_zpsor4ygc85.jpg[ /IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/saxoboy18/59_zpsrs0pgodk.jpg[/I MG]

snapper - 31/3/16 at 07:22 AM

First port of call is carb setup
If your not good with Webers then get it rolling roaded
You can't just change one group of jets as it can effect them all

Adamirish - 31/3/16 at 03:38 PM

Also, what ignition system are you using? Dizzy or something more modern? It certainly sounds like it needs a trip to the rolling road.

What cam are you running too?

It sounds like a very similar set up to mine.

Car looks great by the way!

[Edited on 31/3/16 by Adamirish]