Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch fluid going down while standing
John G

posted on 6/5/21 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch fluid going down while standing

My Kawasaki 1100 Phoenix has needed the clutch bleeding due to the resevoir emptying. I have bled it then left the car for a few days waiting for a new master cylinder to arrive. In that time the resevoir has emptied again. I cant see any fluid but it is a bit crowded in that area. Would this be a symptom of masrer cylinder leaking or could the slave cylinder allow the fluid to escape?
adithorp

posted on 6/5/21 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Could be either, or one of the pipe unions on reservoir pipe. The fluid has to be going somewhere so look and feel for the leak.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jps

posted on 6/5/21 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John G
My Kawasaki 1100 Phoenix has needed the clutch bleeding due to the resevoir emptying. I have bled it then left the car for a few days waiting for a new master cylinder to arrive. In that time the resevoir has emptied again. I cant see any fluid but it is a bit crowded in that area. Would this be a symptom of masrer cylinder leaking or could the slave cylinder allow the fluid to escape?

If they work on the same basis as a brake system - I would have thought it could be either. Given that on a brake system, when fitting new pads for example you push back in the calipers (i.e. the 'slave' ) and can push the brake fluid all the way back in the reservoir - it makes me think you could therefore have a leak anywhere in between, and it could be draining the reservoir....?

I would have thought a full reservoir-worth of fluid dripping out should be easy to spot?

[Edited on 6/5/21 by jps]

Westy1994

posted on 7/5/21 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like a joint or other union that is in this " crowded area" and out of your view that is leaking. As others have said fluid just doesn't disappear on it's own. clear this "crowed area" and recheck every joint and for that matter every inch of pipework.

http://stopjunkcalls.org.uk/forum

nick205

posted on 7/5/21 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
If it's losing fluid are there no signs of flui on the floor under the car?

Or even wet patches somewhere in the car?

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/5/21 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Nice wet sticky carpet

Mind to check the paint work as it a great paint stripper. Seeing that slave is only held in with 3 bolts, I'd whip it off and check it's dry in there, then the only place left is the master. It's looks a extremely simple system to overhaul. Wish cars where that easy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John G

posted on 7/5/21 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Found it, I placed a blue paper towel under the master cylinder last night and topped up the fluid. Today a fluid soaked towel!
Thanks for the replies, Regards Jon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.