The wettest drought on record ?
monck

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Agree

It even flood's ...

Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/7/viewthread.php?tid=169434

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

morcus

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe that super pricey water butt was worth the money after all?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
You're not going to start a water butt panic buying session are you?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Benzine

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I finished rigging up a water butt to my greenhouse about an hour ago so there should be no more rain now for months
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Stop complaining you southern softies

It has rained virtually non-stop since last May here in Fife

splitrivet

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Apperently its the wrong sort of rain though.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

austin man

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Not bad is it when we think we are so advanced as a country / civilisation yet we cant catch water

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Slimy38

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Considering what pollutants our various industries and transport options pump into the air, personally I'm glad we don't catch it! Let mother nature scrub it clean before it gets anywhere near my tap!
Ninehigh

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I like the way an island can run out of water

austin man

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
well we ran out of money as well lol

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

sonic

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
What makes me laugh is that yes we are an island and we run out of water, but they are putting up windmills everywere waiting for the wind to blow to create electricity.

Why not save money building coastal defences to stop our island being washed away and put a wave energy device in the way so the tide can batter that to creative electricity, after all the tide goes in and out everyday, endless energy if harnessed properly.

TAZZMAXX

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic

Why not save money building coastal defences to stop our island being washed away and put a wave energy device in the way so the tide can batter that to creative electricity, after all the tide goes in and out everyday, endless energy if harnessed properly.

I think the boring answer is that it is much more expensive to harness the power of the sea to generate the same level of power that a wind turbine does.

coozer

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TAZZMAXX
quote:
Originally posted by sonic

I think the boring answer is that it is much more expensive to harness the power of the sea to generate the same level of power that a wind turbine does.

Well said, and 200 times more expensive to generate power from wind than employ thousands of people digging coal out and burning that.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ninehigh

posted on 27/4/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
well we ran out of money as well lol

We're not surrounded by a couple of thousand miles of money though!

Benzine

posted on 27/4/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
everything's gone down the pan since ninehigh changed his Holly avatar tbh
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Apperently its the wrong sort of rain though.
Cheers,
Bob

I heard that as well, apparently it flows uphill away from the reservoirs so it is all accumulating at the top of hills now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

adithorp

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
No shortage around here. In fact we can't store any more. Took these pic's a couple of weeks ago of the over flowing resevoirs. Can't remember seeing them all as full as this before.

As a clue to location all I'll say is "This is local water, for local people"

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

spiderman

posted on 27/4/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can't be the Elan valley reservoirs then, located in Wales, with the water ending up in Birmingham.

[Edited on 27/4/12 by spiderman]

Spider

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/4/12 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I like the way an island can run out of water

Speak for yourself mate .......oh i forgot anything north of the watford gap is no mans land

Up here in SCOTTY LAND we have no problem with water ........in fact we have way too much.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/4/12 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Stop complaining you southern softies

It has rained virtually non-stop since last May here in Fife

You tell em .....

Kielder Water was built to supply Teesside steel works and chemicals factories but today the reservoir sits largely unused. Photograph: Chris Leachman /Alamy
Overlooking the cathedral city of Winchester is St Catherine's Hill, a beauty spot with a dirty secret. Just beyond the hill's ancient fort, Winchester pours its sewage into the hillside, from where Southern Water eventually supplies it to taps across south Hampshire. It's quite safe. The chalk cleans the sewage well. There should be more of this. With England facing the worst drought for a generation, we can no longer drink our water only once.

Britain is not a wet country. South-east England gets less rain per head than Sudan. And while most of the rain falls in the north and west, the population increasingly congregates in the south and east. That's why this week there were calls for a national water grid.

The first grid link could send Welsh water to London, via the River Severn and massive pumps that would get it over the Cotswolds and into the Thames. Soon, Whitehall may dust off old plans to turn the Wash into a giant freshwater reservoir for the Midlands.

But when we build big, we usually build wrong. Our biggest reservoir was opened by the Queen 30 years ago. Kielder Water is a mile from the Scottish border, and was built to supply Teesside steel works and chemicals factories. But by the time it was finished, those industries had all shut down. Today the reservoir sits largely unused. The tunnel dug to take its water from the Tyne to the Tees has only opened its taps twice.

We should forget boosting water supply and instead curb demand. Not with pathetic exhortations to consumers, like Thames Water's call last summer for women to stop shaving their legs in the shower, but with engineering.

London doesn't need Welsh water – or hairy legs. It needs to cut Thames Water's obscene leakage rates. The company currently loses 30% of the water it puts into the mains – 200 litres a day for every customer. Paris and New York only lose around 10%; Singapore is below 5%. England and Wales leakage rates, at about 25%, are higher than a decade ago.

And the privatised water companies should abandon their scandalous insularity and start sharing water. Last December, the Environment Agency told ministers that the myriad small water companies in south-east England could save half a billion pounds by 2035 if they shared supplies. Instead, the companies were planning to saddle their customers with a bill of £760bn for unnecessary new reservoirs. Never mind a national grid, a Kent grid would work wonders.

We also need household meters. Britain is almost alone in the industrialised world in not having universal water metering. Houses with meters use 15% less water.

And we need recycling. Londoners routinely drink water from the Thames that is mostly cleaned-up sewage from upstream. But elsewhere much of our effluent is pumped out to sea. The Environment Agency says "effluent should be valued as a resource for use by abstractors" – that is, for water supply.

It can be expensive to clean sewage enough for drinking. That's why the best solution could be getting nature to help, by using rocks like chalk to filter out the nasties. Winchester's sewage never did south Hampshire any harm.

Ninehigh

posted on 28/4/12 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
everything's gone down the pan since ninehigh changed his Holly avatar tbh

Changed it back, let's see what happens

Benzine

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Changed it back, let's see what happens

adithorp

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
Can't be the Elan valley reservoirs then, located in Wales, with the water ending up in Birmingham.

[Edited on 27/4/12 by spiderman]

Thats right... it can't be. There'll be a beer at Stoneleigh for the first correct answer.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.