Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what could/would/might have caused this?
procomp

posted on 23/8/11 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

It's just bad design having the bracket left unsupported hanging of round tube. Again not the first one There was Colin's and the back end of Matt Lewis's car has fallen apart spectacularly twice due to incompetent design and poor welding. Just get it back to MNR and get them to redesign and repair.
You can see on the pic that it hasn't just happened due to the rust present on the fractured section on the one edge.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bartonp

posted on 23/8/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
What it's welded to isn't quite wide enough - the loads are being transferred from the bush to the sides of the bracket & into the base of the bracket before they reach the chassis. The base of the bracket is twisting causing the fatigue.

Ordinarily, loads are transferred fromt he sides of the bracket straight into the chassis via the welds - more a compression/tension arrangement with little bending.

Just my 2p.

How it should be:
----|--------|---
| |
----|--------|---

How it is:
|-/------/-|
|/ / |
|------/---|

adithorp

posted on 23/8/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wishbones don't just pivot up and down on the mountings. They pull, push and twist at them as a result of cornering forces and the torque effects of accelerting and braking. As the bushes were recently checked and free then it's most likely fatigue from the bending caused by those forces.
Several Fury's have suffered from similar failure, although it was the tube wall that gave in those cases (KitCarWorkshop produced chassis). The brackets on mine were reinforced with fillets to prevent/reduce the flexing after it had happened on a couple of race weight chassis in RGB. New chassis by FurySportsCars are being made with heavier guage tube I believe.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

procomp

posted on 23/8/11 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yea the Fury failures where all down to using 18G tubing that was down to Min tolerance IE 19.5G. And was tube fracturing / failure. This is purely down to having brackets attached to the chassis with insufficient bracing and poor design.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mrwibble

posted on 23/8/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know what guage the bgh chassis were made of?
adithorp

posted on 24/8/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Think they were 16g but Steve has re-speced them since taking over and bringing the chassis welding in-house so not sure if that is what they are now or maybe thicker.

The fillets on the front lower brakets of mine can just be seen in this photo. The rear ones are the same but inward along the edge of the diff cage. Mine was KCW produced. Would be easy enough to modify like mine. Matt might comment on what he thinks as I believe he has seen/fixed at least one of the broken ones.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gaz_gaz

posted on 25/8/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
thank you for all the replies,

Matt is this something you'd be able to remake and make properly for me?

i decided to give the car a go at Brands and it rained non stop before a broken clutch cable ended play..
all in all i'm loving kitcar life

procomp

posted on 26/8/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yea it's the sort off thing we do. Will need those 4 brackets removing and re mounting with appropriate strengthening to ensure they wont fall off again. Just give me a U2U if interested and we can exchange details Etc.

Cheers Matt

mrwibble

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I did speak to steve re fury chassis, and KCW was made of 1.2mm steel, later cars were 1.6mm steel, apparently without problems.
gaz_gaz

posted on 26/8/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Yea it's the sort off thing we do. Will need those 4 brackets removing and re mounting with appropriate strengthening to ensure they wont fall off again. Just give me a U2U if interested and we can exchange details Etc.

Cheers Matt

u2u coming your way Matt

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.