Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: overheating and scalded face !!!!
dave_424

posted on 16/6/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Self tune shouldn't change your ignition table unless you have knock input. The tuner studio self tune is really only used when you have a good tune already, so I've been told anyway. Also needs careful setting up to determine how much and how frequent it makes changes. If you are using self tune, and your ECU isn't getting a correct AFR when compared against your gauge, it might be adjusting everything too lean or rich but the ECU thinks it's correct. I would possibly turn self tune off and see if you still overheat

Dave

Valtra

posted on 16/6/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
ok been scratching my head all day and this is where i am

Description
Description

any comments ?

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

Valtra

posted on 16/6/13 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just taken it for a quick run and can't get the revs to die back , constantly running above 1500 rpm and only very slow to die back to there . I'm guessing too much advance low down ?

also car is still boiling up so will have to get a new thermostat and try again . it shouldn't be hitting the danger paint while running under light load on a cool evening . like I say the rad is hot as the fan is running but it can't be circulating properly

Valtra

posted on 16/6/13 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
oh and it's not cutting out today. I started by tightening the injection pump contacts so maybe it was that

BaileyPerformance

posted on 16/6/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
fast idle or revs not returning is a throttle body problem or air leak, check the balance of your throttles at idle AND light throttle.

Make sure your throttles SNAP shut when you blip the throttle peddle

Incorrect timing will not make the engine rev at idle IF the throttles are setup correctly, up to a point more timing will bring the idle up by a small amount but thats it.

Incorrect fuelling and timing plus overheating = knackered engine, be careful.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Valtra

posted on 16/6/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
fast idle or revs not returning is a throttle body problem or air leak, check the balance of your throttles at idle AND light throttle.

Make sure your throttles SNAP shut when you blip the throttle peddle

Incorrect timing will not make the engine rev at idle IF the throttles are setup correctly, up to a point more timing will bring the idle up by a small amount but thats it.

Incorrect fuelling and timing plus overheating = knackered engine, be careful.

checked the balance last week and it was fine , will see if the bodies have dislodged due to vibration thanks

and yes trying to be careful........ fuelling seems better now but will be better once I get the overheating sorted as it must be something fundamental in the cooling system .

thanks

Valtra

posted on 16/6/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
No obvious air leaks and TBs nice and firm so that's a baffler

BaileyPerformance

posted on 16/6/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
have you checked the throttle for balance at idle and at light throttle?

if you are using motorbike TBs the link springs can do funny things causing the TBs to go out of balance at light throttle.

Just to get you up and running aim for 13AFR everywhere, you can lean off when you have the cooling system sorted.

Your advance table is wrong but not that far off to cause overheating, its normally far too much retard that causes overheating and also a hot exhaust.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave_424

posted on 16/6/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
You need to change the AFR table load on the left hand side to 0-100%, looks like it still has the scale for speed density.

What are your afr's like? On your gauge not in megasquirt. Are they around where your AFR table wants it? Can't you just remove the thermostat and try that?

Dave

Valtra

posted on 16/6/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
You need to change the AFR table load on the left hand side to 0-100%, looks like it still has the scale for speed density.

What are your afr's like? On your gauge not in megasquirt. Are they around where your AFR table wants it? Can't you just remove the thermostat and try that?

Dave

Hi Dave

Ever the font of practical advice , thanks.

Yes I noticed the discrepancy after I posted the picture and adjusted the scale on the left to similar values to the vr and spark tables .

I took some time to calibrate the LC1 and did find an anomaly in the scale i'd set at 1-5 volts instead of 0-5 and the gauge reads very similar values to the Tuner studio gauge. as to actually following the afr table ....loosely .

Thermostat is sealed (AFAIK) into a canister separate from the engine with three outlets

dave_424

posted on 16/6/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I know that you have had this engine together and running fine, but are the 3 outlets connected to the right places in the cooling system? If so, then can't you remove it and use some pipe and clamps to connect the respectable pipes?

If your engine is getting boiling hot, then so should your radiator. It should be very very hot. If it is just warm/hot then possible that the thermostat isn't opening all the way or not at all.

Dave

Valtra

posted on 16/6/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
have you checked the throttle for balance at idle and at light throttle?

if you are using motorbike TBs the link springs can do funny things causing the TBs to go out of balance at light throttle.

Just to get you up and running aim for 13AFR everywhere, you can lean off when you have the cooling system sorted.

Your advance table is wrong but not that far off to cause overheating, its normally far too much retard that causes overheating and also a hot exhaust.

thanks

I checked the balance at low idle , I could screw the stopper in and try it then

britishtrident

posted on 18/6/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
This thread in another Forum might help with the ignition curve.

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2443

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DarrenW

posted on 18/6/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ref idle rpm and speed to drop - i had issues with bike carbs. 2 causes;
1. butterfly wasnt closing properly due to dirt in the body and varnish type deposit around the butterfly,
2. return springs too week. New spring made a big difference.

(Interestingly i also had issues with the throttle body butterfly on tin top some time later, this time the varnish type deposits were sealing the throttle body too well and causing engine to die at junctions. RAC man told me how to fix it when i had a flat battery at an airport once.)

I also had issues with carb tops not being sealed but i guess that wont affect you.

Re mapping - i was kindly given a map be somebody with a similarish set up and it got me started.

Valtra

posted on 18/6/13 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
This thread in another Forum might help with the ignition curve.

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2443

Thanks , yes Guy knows all there is to know about the twink , and has given me free advice recently . Those advance figures are likely to be spot on

Valtra

posted on 18/6/13 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Ref idle rpm and speed to drop - i had issues with bike carbs. 2 causes;
1. butterfly wasnt closing properly due to dirt in the body and varnish type deposit around the butterfly,
2. return springs too week. New spring made a big difference.

(Interestingly i also had issues with the throttle body butterfly on tin top some time later, this time the varnish type deposits were sealing the throttle body too well and causing engine to die at junctions. RAC man told me how to fix it when i had a flat battery at an airport once.)

I also had issues with carb tops not being sealed but i guess that wont affect you.

Re mapping - i was kindly given a map be somebody with a similarish set up and it got me started.

yes could be the butterflies sticking a tad; the bike the tbs came from had open and close cables working together . they seemed free enough but I'll check they are closing sharply

Valtra

posted on 19/6/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Got my new Thermostat canister today and fitted it . started up and brought it up to thermostat opening temp , this should now have released any air trapped in the bottom hose so that once cold tomorrow I can top it up again and it should be good to go . Incidentally the car idled happily once I'd tickled it to start and settle The afr gauge sat at about 13 settling back around 14 once warm . The problem I had with the revs not dying back seems to be down to the throttle not slapping shut properly every time , progress at least

snapper

posted on 20/6/13 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
A while back in the thread you said you had changed timing belt
Is your cam timing correct?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Valtra

posted on 20/6/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
A while back in the thread you said you had changed timing belt
Is your cam timing correct?

Yes seems to be, all the markers line up correctly and the engine idles as sweet as a nut once it's properly awake .

Thanks .

Valtra

posted on 8/7/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update

Thermostat fitted and carefully bled ....but despite it being fairly cool here today due to cloud round the wash (not a euphemism) had to stop for 10 mins on the way to MOT to let it cool down . Passed MOT and now taxed and legal , my friend at MOT station suggested the water pump impeller could be slipping on the shaft so another £15 to ebay for a new one to eliminate that possibility.

On a good note car ran ok on Microsquirt with occasional drops to lean on closed throttle but picked back up without cutting out . Pulls well on open throttle and sounds very crisp , just need another spring to close the butterflies as revs keep running away (bike had a closer cable as well as opener)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.