Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Raw Striker Build Diary
loggyboy

posted on 23/1/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Raw Striker Build Diary

Well after a long wait, finally got to pick the Kit up Saturday. With a massive bonus of borrowing a van/trailer from the father-in-law which saved on hiring a van and trying to squeeze the chassis and all the panels in one space.

Sadly some of the panels werent up to scratch (no pun intended), so Raw will be sorting these out, but as I wont be needing these for quite a few months no doubt that shouldnt be a problem.

Defo need to clear more space in the single garage, I've still got lots of junk from various nova parts, and my shed that I wanted to store panels safely etc is full of wheels for various cars I either dont own or dont need anymore!

Will keep this thread updated as progress is made.

perksy

posted on 23/1/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Good Luck with the Build

Will be watching this one with interest, as i've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Striker

eddie99

posted on 23/1/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've hit subscribe, Good luck with the build and keep us updated regularly How quickly do you plan on building it?

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 23/1/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Plan is to have it ready for IVA summer next year and a '62 registration.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice Loggy.

I'll be keeping a close eye too - its nice to see a bare chassis so i can see whats going on underneath mine.

I'll be doing my zetec swap soon, finally got the mounts ordered from raw.

What engine are you using?

loggyboy

posted on 25/1/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
Looks nice Loggy.

I'll be keeping a close eye too - its nice to see a bare chassis so i can see whats going on underneath mine.

I'll be doing my zetec swap soon, finally got the mounts ordered from raw.

What engine are you using?

Brand new Bacltop Zetec, not sure on management yet, but did get told my Martin at Raw that the standard plenum fits under the striker - so this may be a cheap way to get on the road, through IVA emmisions etc. and upgrade at a later date. Raw have also produced an airfilter to fit the standard intake that fits nicely under the bonnet.

loggyboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Latest Update:

Cut all the ally panels weekend before last.
Raw kindly mark up all the shapes which makes like a little easier (however, for the keener eyed, anyone spot the dilberate mistake on both sidepanels and the tunnel sides?)

I did buy some Air Metal Sheers, but I dont think my compressor is up to the task as they didnt seem to cope. I reverted to Jig sawing them, and with these lil ally blades it went thru them like warm butter.

The only trouble with a jigsaw is the loose swarf gets caught and marks the sheets, so I protected them with some MDF.

The course blade left the edges a ltttle rough, but nothing a file wont tidy

After offing up various panels I decided the chassis was in danger of getting scratched so put some paper sheets to use:

and then flipped it on its side to sort the floor panels:

'G' clamps from Lidl coming in handy:

Also noticed some gaps in the powder coating where the chassis musts have been on an A frame. Will get the Electrostatic magic out to cover them over.

Didnt get much done this weekend (Wifes Birthday) and I have an Autosolo at Castle combe this Saturday with Bristol MC, but hope to get cracking at the riveting on Sunday.

franky

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good. I got some pipe lagging from b&q to protect mine as you can move it around and when you bang your head it doesn't hurt so much!
loggyboy

posted on 22/12/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well its been 10 months, and sadly not alot has been done. I got distracted over summer by my love for hot hatches, 2 Clio 172s had too much of my attention - but the Striker is now priorty number 1!

This is where I left it back in march:

But I was jumping ahead with the sidepanels, so I went back to drilling the tunnel panels, however I decided I didnt want the handbrake in the standard location. I think its messy on the side of the tunnel, so a new position was decided:

I'll make up some nice brackets to fix it in the new location nearer the time.

The bracket that the cable wraps round was therfore no longer needed, making a tidier passenger side tunnel panel:

I had a few patches to re-powdercoat so I patched over the bare metal with the electrostatic magic which you can see below, the dull patches. The finish isnt a perfect match and it doesnt blend very well, but as it will all be covered up by panels I'm not concerned

Once that was done I could crack on with securing both floor panels:

Added some Waxoyl internally:

Then it was out with the Sikaflex:

Some videos of the Air Riveter in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAlHIDipTWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMT10AfZiX0

In review of the cheapo air rivet gun - it did jam a few times when the previous shaft didnt push out properly and 2 got stuck in the exit tube. But once i realoised what was happening, it only took a few seconds to unscrew the nozzle and pull out the stuck shafts.

Once they were riveted in place, it was on to the first side panel. Clamping the edge with some thin timbers and progressively bending the panels with a rubber mallet and some other timbers.

Once the top edge folds were done I needed to do the bottom, which meant lowering and rolling the chassis, not the easisest of 1 man jobs!, but taadaa - Magic floating chassis:

The engine bay area was easy to clamp and fold as I had done one the top edge, but where the floor panels were securred it was impossible to clamp all the way along, and without the timbers bracing the fold would not be a neat and tight crease. So I found a sturdy timber brace that was up to the job:

I then started to drill the bottom edge, and thats were she now stands waiting for the new coutersink drill bit ive ordered so I can fit the coutersunk rivets to the bottom panel, so the covering (which ever I choose) will lay smoothly over the side panel.

Hopefully the next update will be more forthcoming than this!!

[Edited on 22/12/11 by loggyboy]

MikeRJ

posted on 22/12/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you don't regret moving the handbrake, isn't your elbow going to hit it?
loggyboy

posted on 22/12/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I hope you don't regret moving the handbrake, isn't your elbow going to hit it?

There should be a fair amount between my arm, the lever is well over to the left and also about half way down the tunnel, so should sit nicely between elbow and gear lever - both far enough down and over not to get in the way!
You can probly see my old worktop seat back where I sat in and worked out exactly where I wanted the lever!

happylemon666

posted on 22/12/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Loggyboy

This might sound like a stupid question, but you don't have any tips on measuring and drilling the tunnel side panels do you? I'm struggling for some reason with the shape of it (narrower at the top than the bottom, then widening towards the front).

thanks
Guy

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/12/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't like the handbrake location in my Phoenix either.

In my case I used a Fiat Coupe handbrake and mounted it vertically. Worked alright for me and it mounted off the

Just another option.

loggyboy

posted on 23/12/11 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by happylemon666
Hi Loggyboy

This might sound like a stupid question, but you don't have any tips on measuring and drilling the tunnel side panels do you? I'm struggling for some reason with the shape of it (narrower at the top than the bottom, then widening towards the front).

thanks
Guy

Yeah, try some stiff card (pref not corrugated as it flexes) and use it as a template.
Once you have the rough shape, cut out the ally leaving 1-2cm spare on top edge, especailly by the bellhousing end of the tunnel. Get the bottom edge right and use G clamps to pin it in place and start to bend to the odd angles, this allows you to take into acount the bending the panel (espcially the passenger side) needs before getting the top edge cuts just right. Dont forget a couple of cms at the rear edge to fold back.

loggyboy

posted on 14/1/12 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a Rivnut tool (laser) to secure my brake/fuel line Pclips. Could have blind riveted them, but thought it would be could to have future flexibilty and easy maintainence/replacement. Plus I wanted more tools to play with!

Drilled holes and more waxoyl:

All inplace, allthough I have now fitted stainless steel hex bolts in place of the cheap philips heads.

review of the cheap (£22) laser rivnut tool - good but weak - I was using the m3 size which is very thin, and therefore delicate, so on the 5th rivnut I squeezed a little too hard:

However the ebay shop sent me a new m3 mandrel out staight away and I did aload more to day with no problems. Just learnt the m3s only need the slightest of squeeze!

Also bought some new cobalt drill bits for under £2 a pair from toolstation - wow, made drilling the chassis like cutting warm butter. Also pictured my £10 120degree coutersink, which is perfect for the counter sunk rivets.

loggyboy

posted on 31/1/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Finished off the Rear brake lines and made up some angle brackets, had to make them quite long as the premade brake lines that came with the kit were a little on the short side!

and added the stainless nuts to the fronts to finish them off.

Also striped the Engine, Box and Diff out the sierra ready for when the funds allow me to send the G/Box goes off to be recon'd.

I now have a rear Engine'd sierra!

clanger

posted on 25/2/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
subscribed....................might look into my handbrake postion as well, thanks for the idea

where did you get the steering shaft from? want to make some pedal box mods to my chassis and need to get rid of the lower sierra bit

[Edited on 25/2/12 by clanger]

[Edited on 25/2/12 by clanger]

loggyboy

posted on 25/2/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
where did you get the steering shaft from? want to make some pedal box mods to my chassis and need to get ride of the lower sierra bit

Its a Raw steering column.

clanger

posted on 25/2/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
cheers, bit of googling looks like a rally design item......
loggyboy

posted on 25/2/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
cheers, bit of googling looks like a rally design item......

It wouldnt surprise me, most of the bits in the kit seem to be.

loggyboy

posted on 15/4/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well a trial fit of the gearbox the other day (as my other thread showed) led to some head scratching about the fitting the round peg (bellhousing) in the square hole (Tunnel opening).
Raw suggested a trim to the bellhousing which seemed a little drastic to me as I didnt fancy a hole in the bell leading to something getting inside (grit, gravel, water etc), but I assumed once trimmed, I could seal it with a small thin plate welded on the inside.
So a rough mark up and out came the angry grinder.

Low and behold the casting on the bellhousing was so thick, I didnt reach the other side. Seems theres about 1-2mm left so I fluked just the right amount to cut off, as I when I marked it, I just assumed it would go through and I would have to cover it.

Offered it up to the chassis and it seems to have given me a fair amount of clearance, im still about 10mm short of the predrilled holes, but I have enough clearance to be comfortable the box wont clout the chassis or tunnel panels.

R1_striker

posted on 23/4/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
nice to see another roll cage like mine.

shouldnt you be trail fitting the gearbox with the engine?

small tax, small insurance, huge laughs

Dopdog

posted on 26/4/12 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I get very confused and looked at your avatar of your finished car? its not your car how did you do that then
loggyboy

posted on 26/4/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
I get very confused and looked at your avatar of your finished car? its not your car how did you do that then

Sketchup for the cage, imported in to Photoshop and then tweeked colours, lights etc.
http://loggyboy.com/images/Raw/Ideas/

Mistral Motorsport

Dopdog

posted on 26/4/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
are you going to paint the sides?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.