Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: yamaha r1 gearbox
markie t

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
yamaha r1 gearbox

Hi guys i have an mk indy with a 99 4xv engine, the gearbox was getting stiff to change when coming back down the box using the clutch but not in any particular gear, sometimes it will go in gear ok then another time i would have to push the stick forward 2-3 times before it would go in gear, going up the box was ok with no clutch.Does anyone know what the likely cause would be ?, i have also been looking at a 2002 r1 gearbox on flea-bay and have been informed that these are the same and will fit the 4xv, can anbody confirm/dispell this for me please, thanks.
smart51

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 99 4XV gearbox gathering dust in my garage if you're interested. The engine was broken for parts having worn pistons.

The cheapest on eBay is £125 plus postage. I'll let mine go at £100 for the pair of shafts and gears, plus postage plus paypal fees, or cash on collection from Birmingham. Let me know if you're interested.

sickbag

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Difficulty with engaging a gear while going down the 'box could be nothing more than a poorly adjusted clutch cable - give that a tweak and see if it helps. After-market cables might not be as stretch resistant as OEM ones.

Also, have you tried 'blipping' the throttle on downshifts? That can help too.

Finally back on the job!

eddie99

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got 2 r1 engines in pieces if you want some parts u2u me. Not sure what im doing with them yet...

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
adithorp

posted on 31/3/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'd check the linkage as well and make sure it's shifting far enough.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

markie t

posted on 5/4/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
finally managed to sort the problem out, turns out i have a broken lug on the back of the shift shaft assembly which holds a small spring to return the hooked part that selects the next gear from the drum, have been told this is quite a common thing on these gearboxes, cheers for the replies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.