Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clio 172/182/197 engine
rj

posted on 12/1/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Clio 172/182/197 engine

I have been thinking of an engine change over the winter, considered Duratech but from what I have read there appear to be plenty of complications, and a lot are just 134bhp std. The sporty 2.0 Clio engines could be a better stating point, more power, and the are built to rev more than a std Duratech. So has anyone fitted one to a 7 type car or looked into doing so ? Suspect gearbox will have to be fitted via a purpose built adaptor plate, also std Clio inlet manifold will have to go - it curls over the top of the engine, might make engine too tall, so would replace with thottle bodies or bike carbs.
loggyboy

posted on 12/1/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
All have VVC meaning complicated wiring/ecu etc, or removal- if removal then you loose a good chuck of the power.
big-vee-twin

posted on 12/1/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
A standard Duratec will make 145bhp out the box, and if you fit throttle bodies around 180bhp, and is very easy to get up to 200bhp.

There are many Duratec tuning parts available from various sources.

Not sure about complications, its a fairly straight forward install, only real issue is expense when compared to Zetec install.

I would imagine its much cheaper and easier than a Renault installation.

The main issue with Renaults is they complicate things just because they can. I should know I used to run a F1 Team R26 Megane.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

will121

posted on 12/1/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine runs a 182 clio fitted with a 233bhp 197 engine and cost a lot to get to that compared with a duratec and had a few issues too with it recently throwing a rod, may be a reason why not a first choice for a 7
van cleef

posted on 12/1/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's a good idea I have driven the 182 Clio and think it's a fantastic engine but I did opt for a 225 megane at the time for my wife's daily runner.

Some people will de-motivate you and try and talk you into going down the tried and tested route, nothing is impossible and would nice to see something a little different

twybrow

posted on 12/1/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by van cleef
I think it's a good idea I have driven the 182 Clio and think it's a fantastic engine but I did opt for a 225 megane at the time for my wife's daily runner.

Some people will de-motivate you and try and talk you into going down the tried and tested route, nothing is impossible and would nice to see something a little different

Here here! Anything is possible - just dont expect it to be easy, and you will have to solve all the issues yourself, and no one has done it before. Do it!

MakeEverything

posted on 12/1/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by van cleef

I agree with the different route if you're clued up.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

rj

posted on 12/1/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies, nice to see a range of opinions. I had assumed i would have to do a load of stuff to get it to work, but i do have a lathe and milling machine etc, think the next step is to take some measurements from a mates 172 cup. Didnt know they had vvc, does anyone know the basic set up, is it variable cam timing like BMW vanos, or an oil presure activated extra cam lobe like Honda vtec ??? I recal that the ST170 Duratech has vvc, how is that dealt with in a 7 install ??
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 15/1/12 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
Honda VTEC, Toyota VVTLi, Nissan NeoVVL, and Mitsubishi MIVEC are the only engines that have changeable profiles on the camshafts.

BMW Valvetronic is not included here, but someone would get me if I didn't mention it!

loggyboy

posted on 15/1/12 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
there is an ecu controled solenoid on the top of the engine that feeds oil to a dephasing inlet cam pulley that contols the valve timing.
MikeRJ

posted on 15/1/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's a simple cam dephaser as said, so almost any aftermarket ECU should be able to control it in an on/off mode, though I don't know if that's how it's controlled by the original ECU.
b14wrc

posted on 16/1/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just to comment, i think doing something different is the way to go, and dont be put off by people saying its too much work. At the end of the day, it will be more work if you cant just 'copy' what others have done, and help is going to be greatly reduced, but if your anything like me, that just makes it more fun!

Think of the reward your going to get when you car is finished and its different to every thing else!

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.