Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford fiesta drive shaft nut
omega 24 v6

posted on 26/2/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ford fiesta drive shaft nut

Last time I did a spring on No1 Daughters fiesta 06 plate i had a helluva job getting the driveshaft nut back on. I had to take of the whole strut as the pinch bolt for the strut tube was well siezed up.
The nut itself is a stupid looking multiplate setup within a cage and although it should prob have been replaced what can you do on a sunday evening EH?? so i did det it on but eventually it started picking up on the threads and damaging them ( it'll need a cv joint if it ever comes off again.
Now today the other side spring has snapped and I'll need to get the job done again so whats the consensus on this stupid drive shaft nut??
Replace it ( part no anyone )
Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance peeps.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rj

posted on 26/2/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
The same happened to me a few weeks ago,changing a spring on wifes 53 plate Fiesta, bolt connecting strut to hub rounded so had to remove strut/hub/wishbone, took 4 hours odd ! Driveshaft nut is stupid, mine fell apart, but had a spare Sierra rear nut so that is fitted as a temp, only problem is Sierra nut is much bigger on outside so insufficient clearance to get socket in end of drive flange, so put thick washers behind.
I hate some Ford designs, dont know if they try to be too clever, or are just penny pinching, suspect the nuts & bolts are made or rubbish steel, thats why they rust and a 12 point socket just rounds them off, got some hex sockets now !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.