Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emigrating
theconrodkid

posted on 26/12/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Emigrating

I have been thinking about leaving these shores for a few years now so i think this is the year to make my mind up.
has anyone on here done it,to another EU country (Poland in my case),if so what are the things i have to do paperwork wise,i have a place to live and know some people over there,i wont have to work for some time if ever as my place here is all paid for.
just a matter of sorting my pension,health care,licence etc.
feel free to U2U me or post usefull comments on here

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

iank

posted on 26/12/13 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
EU is certainly easy (trivial) right now. Be worth thinking about what may happen if/when the UK changes status and may no longer be part of the EU, what will happen to your right to stay/work (though sounds like work may be optional in your case)?

I've lived abroad and it's great if you are flexible and willing to fit/adapt to the culture, cuisine, and practices of the country you're in. Nothing worse than whingeing ex-pats no matter where the're from. If wanting to stay long term you'll really need to learn the language if outside the tourist cities.

Sorry if any/all of this is obvious, but I've met people who've been shocked they can't go into the supermarket and get the brands they want and can't cope with "foreigners" not able to speak English.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

steve m

posted on 26/12/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Conrod,

I will miss you !

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 26/12/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Emigrating is not for me, and between my wife and I, we now of several people who have done it, only for them to return
to the UK, a couple of years later, and all at great expense, and in one case, he will HAVE to work till he dies, just to pay off the huge debt of moving to the US,

Do you have any family here that you would miss, or they miss you?

Could you afford to keep your place here, and rent it out, while you pursue a new lifestyle out of the UK ?
and if the new life is succsefull, possibly sell up your place here

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Alan B

posted on 26/12/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I agree very much with iank, especially the last 2 paragraphs.

I've lived in the US nearly 20 years and I've found it essential to integrate and encompass new culture....in fact if you can't do that you really have to question even considering leaving the UK.

In saying that I still follow english football and F1...we still need few evangelists I guess...

In conrods case I'd say it was a fairly minimal risk of it not working out and not terribly expensive to revert back....so I'd say go for it.....remember that most of things in life that you regret are things you didn't do.

Good luck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 26/12/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies,i will miss things like gravy and pork pies but i am sure i can get someone to send me food parcels
i dont have any family here so no one to miss,and Steve,i will miss you too mate and some of the people i have met on here.
i am the big 60 this year and will have enough money to see me through i have no doubt,i will be living with my long term girlfriend out there so all i have to do is pay her some rent and food money.
as for the language,living in London i can say English is not the first language of a lot of the "locals",i am sue i will pick it up,i can already say yes/no/please/thankyou and ask for tea .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

NigeEss

posted on 26/12/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

........................willing to fit/adapt to the culture, cuisine, and practices of the country you're in.

Shame most of the immigrants to this country don't adhere to this.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

theconrodkid

posted on 26/12/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:Originally posted by iank

........................willing to fit/adapt to the culture, cuisine, and practices of the country you're in.

Shame most of the immigrants to this country don't adhere to this.

very well put

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

T66

posted on 26/12/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good friend of mine in his last 5 years at work spent a fortune renovating his house in France, all ready for their move abroad. Both of them retired and off they went, sold the UK house to live the dream in 2006.

Then the 2009 crash came, with a UK GBP pension he took a big hit with the poor exchange rate. And then on the 31st December 2011 he died.

His spouse, they werent married was then stuck without a will, and his pension died with him. Unable to buy a house and return to the UK she is now stuck in France unable to return due to the house price rise, and lack of banks wishing to offer a mortgage.

I realise your very different in that your working, and younger than my mate was, but my point is once you depart the UK housing market, you will have great difficulty returning into it with the currently predicted spike in prices, and the banks great helpful status.

If you do take the plunge, do not sell your house and rent it out for 6-12 months, which always leaves you an exit plan if it doesnt pan out. When I retire we plan to live in Cyprus for a while, but I will be renting somewhere to live like my other mate does in Zante, as soon as anything goes wonky you come home.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.