Board logo

FIA Kill Switch
deanspoors - 18/12/14 at 07:46 PM

First of all, sorry as I know the Kill Switch topic has been done to death, but I'm struggling on where I should connect the second set of N/O contacts for the ignition cut on a Westfield Megabusa. Has anyone else with a Hayabusa engine fitted one of these switches? And if so could you give me a heads up on where I should tap into the loom.

Thanks in advance,
Dean

theprisioner - 18/12/14 at 08:07 PM

The aux contacts a) Break the ignition cct and b) provide a load to the alternator so it does not go o/c while spooling down the engine. Alternators that have no load produce high voltages that can destroy them. So the second set should switch in a resistor to the alternator side of the isolator to ground.

deanspoors - 18/12/14 at 08:21 PM

Hi, sorry if I wasn't clear, but I know how to wire the main battery cut n/c contact and the n/o contact that shorts the generator down to ground through a high wattage. Resistor. The only thing I am unsure of is where best to cut the ignition as obviously the wiring at the ignition barrel is high current.

Dean

mark chandler - 18/12/14 at 08:28 PM

You used to cut the ignition coil in the old days, cut the ECU feed which is low current, 250mA usually.

motorcycle_mayhem - 19/12/14 at 09:31 AM

When I wired mine in, I put the contacts through the coil feed. It's the grey wire that comes down the head loom.

My reasons were based upon simplicity, the proximity of the grey to where I had the switch and the way that bike engines behave. The wire was also utilised for the shift cut, minimising runs.