Board logo

At what point in the build should you Insure "the car"
davidosullivan - 14/12/07 at 04:37 PM

Just a quick Poll to see when I should start Insuring...

eccsmk - 14/12/07 at 04:39 PM

i'm going to insure mine when it's ready for it's s.v.a. test. hopefully it should be ok until then

mookaloid - 14/12/07 at 04:44 PM

As soon as you have a chassis and collection of bits which would be worth something if they caught fire or were stolen IMHO

Cheers

Mark

Paul (Notts) - 14/12/07 at 04:45 PM

Just took out some build insurance last week. If someone broke in and took it I would not have had any other cover for it.

Only cost me £50 to cover it for £7000 untill I SVA it then need to swap to full insurance.

Paul

bonzoronnie - 14/12/07 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
Just took out some build insurance last week. If someone broke in and took it I would not have had any other cover for it.

Only cost me £50 to cover it for £7000 untill I SVA it then need to swap to full insurance.

Paul

A very wise move.

A very good level of cover for that premium.

Ronnie

stevebubs - 14/12/07 at 05:34 PM

As soon as it's worth more than you can afford to lose if a scally grabs it...

Don't forget to ensure all your tools etc are also insured....

Paul (Notts) - 14/12/07 at 05:36 PM

First quote from Adrian flux was £135. I then rang roung every insurance company until footman Jones offerd a better level of cover at under 1/2 the price.

Paul

Peter M - 14/12/07 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
As soon as you have a chassis and collection of bits which would be worth something if they caught fire or were stolen IMHO

Cheers

Mark

Same here.

zxrlocost - 14/12/07 at 06:27 PM

straight away no questions asked

in no other industry would someone spend thousands on stuff then not insure it till the last minute

muzchap - 14/12/07 at 07:03 PM

I insured mine when all the bits were bolted on - the cost soon adds up - imagine your horror if someone stole it.

I found SureTerm to be the most responsible and understanding that it was a part build. Insuring it makes you work faster as well - trust me

locoboy - 14/12/07 at 09:05 PM

Be VERY carefull what type of insurance you go for before its SVA'd

In my experience Suretrem direct insured my from 2 days pior to SVA, but then the small print stated that you were only covered for 14 days.

You needed to submit your reg to them inside the 14 days otherwise they would cancel it and not refund anything.

I wrote some snotty letters claiming i had been missold a policy as i was told i could extend this 14 day period BY 30 days FOC.

It took many phone calls and lots of nastiness to get them to extend it and on day 30 i got my reg number.

You can buy build insurance which is designed for it being stored in your garage etc during construction.

Always ask what their timescales are for getting your reg to them, and check, double check its what they tell you it will be.